Photo

Meet Firefox Next

firefox

3763 replies to this topic

#3751 +Zlip792

Zlip792

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: Nokia C3-00 (8.70 firmware) It sucks!!!

Posted 17 August 2014 - 14:33

New InContent based Default Browser bar and I must say I welcome this Chrome copy since it moves away from old stupid dialog.

wj9wbnC.png

#3752 +Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 17 August 2014 - 22:41

Indeed, I welcome it too as I really hated that dialog. Firefox is really beginning to make strives - today I've been surfing using a e10s window without a single crash. Now all they need to do is move downloads/history/bookmark manager to a tab instead of a new window!

#3753 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 15
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 17 August 2014 - 22:56

Firefox is really beginning to make strives - today I've been surfing using a e10s window without a single crash. Now all they need to do is move downloads/history/bookmark manager to a tab instead of a new window!

Ditto that sentiment, they're really making it look a lot better than it used to, as much as I like the flexibility the not-so-older versions still looked like a refugee from the late 90's. A few more bits to get revamped, although there is an addon that lets you move those specific windows you mentioned into a sidebar, not quite the same but still. I just hope they start putting a lot more effort into the under-the-hood stuff, give it a much needed kick in the pants for performance and new developments, progressing but taking wayyy too long.

#3754 .stan

.stan

Neowinian

Posted 17 August 2014 - 23:01

New InContent based Default Browser bar and I must say I welcome this Chrome copy since it moves away from old stupid dialog.

wj9wbnC.png

Chrome is moving away from those info bars because they can easily be faked on a website. Chrome does info bubbles now.

#3755 .stan

.stan

Neowinian

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:02

Our favorite Australis theme creator blinky has updated his userstyle ( https://userstyles.o...ws-8-appearance ) to match the latest mockups of Project Chameleon ( https://blog.mozilla...ject-chameleon/ )

#3756 Ned

Ned

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:24

Indeed, I welcome it too as I really hated that dialog. Firefox is really beginning to make strives - today I've been surfing using a e10s window without a single crash. Now all they need to do is move downloads/history/bookmark manager to a tab instead of a new window!

How about the print window? Nothing about the print window looks good.

#3757 itisomegakai

itisomegakai

Neowinian

Posted Yesterday, 00:23

• Compiler (JIT)
    • bug 1041781: Landed native to bytecode mapping
    • bug 1054340: Landed post-native-to-bytecode-mapping fix to remove MPcOffset instructions
  • Garbage Collection
    • bug 650161: Landed first cut of compacting GC implementation (build with --enable-gccompacting to try it out)
    • bug 995284: Made GC behvaiour deterministic in shell builds
  • Front End and Other
    • bug 1052248: Tweak the goodAllocated heuristics for JS arrays
    • bug 1041688: acquired properties analysis working but has some regressions

Layout

• caret cleanup landed (bug 1048752)
  • CSS transitions now work for style changes that trigger reframes (bug 625289)
  • initial CSS Ruby reflow code landed, but still more work to do on ruby

Media

• Continue to prep OpenH264 and Screensharing for Fx33.
    • Major UI redesign slated for Fx35
    • Window list rescan uplifted to 33
    • Talky.io is experimenting with ScreenSharing in their beta pages
  • Working a 2.0 blocker with QC
  • Firefox Desktop has been giving the Loop team a hand on front-end issues
  • GMP plugin sandboxing has landed

Necko

• landed bug 820391: we're finally getting DNS time-to-live (TTL) accurately (Windows-only for now).
  • HTTP cache v2: some last bugs before we release: mostly tests but also a few real bugs (bug 1042192, bug 1054425, bug 660749)
  • minor fixups for HTTP2: we're close to being able to pref it on.

Performance

• bug 1045108: Please review your Telemetry probes and make sure they're still useful. Also please set the expiry dates for your probes (e.g. "expires_in_version": "never", or "35" for Firefox 35) -- we'll be automatically marking unclaimed probes for expiry in Firefox 40.
  • bug 1037494: Also provide email addresses for automatic regression notifications in the "alert_emails" field.

#3758 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted Yesterday, 03:02

landed bug 820391: we're finally getting DNS time-to-live (TTL) accurately (Windows-only for now).

We don't actually have TTL info yet, that's coming later (That patch just moved them over from using the getaddrinfo API to the special Windows API, but didn't enable any of the new functionality)

Ideally Firefox would do DNS lookups itself (Similar to Chrome), but doing so would break certain features people rely on (Like editing the hosts file, or network computer name lookup, etc.) The standard APIs the system provides is kinda crap (No TTL info, the system can sort them wrongly like on OS X, etc.) On the upside it would provide better support for DNSSEC and stuff like SRV records.

#3759 itisomegakai

itisomegakai

Neowinian

Posted Yesterday, 05:46

We don't actually have TTL info yet, that's coming later (That patch just moved them over from using the getaddrinfo API to the special Windows API, but didn't enable any of the new functionality)

Ideally Firefox would do DNS lookups itself (Similar to Chrome), but doing so would break certain features people rely on (Like editing the hosts file, or network computer name lookup, etc.) The standard APIs the system provides is kinda crap (No TTL info, the system can sort them wrongly like on OS X, etc.) On the upside it would provide better support for DNSSEC and stuff like SRV records.

Thanks for that

what do you exactly mean by "Like editing the hosts file"

#3760 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

Posted Yesterday, 06:16

Wikipedia can explain it better than I can: http://en.wikipedia....ki/Hosts_(file)

The API the OS provides for applications to map hostnames to IPs isn't just for DNS, it maintains a cache of previous lookups, and can also pull information from other sources (Such as Bonjour for *.local names, WINS for Windows boxes, the hosts file for custom overrides, etc.) alongside DNS. The problem is, the API kinda sucks, so applications that want proper DNS information need to query the DNS servers themselves (Or use the better API that Windows provides, etc.), but doing so completely bypasses all the other systems the OS provides for name lookup.

#3761 itisomegakai

itisomegakai

Neowinian

Posted Yesterday, 07:23

Wikipedia can explain it better than I can: http://en.wikipedia....ki/Hosts_(file)

The API the OS provides for applications to map hostnames to IPs isn't just for DNS, it maintains a cache of previous lookups, and can also pull information from other sources (Such as Bonjour for *.local names, WINS for Windows boxes, the hosts file for custom overrides, etc.) alongside DNS. The problem is, the API kinda sucks, so applications that want proper DNS information need to query the DNS servers themselves (Or use the better API that Windows provides, etc.), but doing so completely bypasses all the other systems the OS provides for name lookup.

actually i meant was does it now use windows apis?

and so honors the hosts file better? as opposed to bypassing hosts allowed & blocked lists?

#3762 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

Posted Yesterday, 07:32

Oh, right :laugh:

It still uses the data from the hosts file because it's still using the system provided lookup APIs, just a slightly different one that gives them more info (The TTL among other things).

#3763 itisomegakai

itisomegakai

Neowinian

Posted Yesterday, 07:46

Oh, right :laugh:

It still uses the data from the hosts file because it's still using the system provided lookup APIs, just a slightly different one that gives them more info (The TTL among other things).

Thanks

would it result in better performance ?

& does anyone know if offmainthread are enabled yet[or stopping it] on linux?

and e10s are on schedule?

#3764 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

Posted Yesterday, 11:39

Performance should be exactly the same, regardless of the method they use.

OMTC on Linux depends on image surfaces (vs. X11 surfaces), I know some work for that recently landed but I think it's still disabled by default.