Meet the browser: Firefox Next

Konstantine
1 hour ago, bawz said:

you whinned about me posting Mozilla Nightly Blog posts so i stopped.

lol yeah I remember but I'm talking about a constructive discussion here, not just pasting links. That being said, I miss having notifications about a new post in this thread. xD

bawz
22 minutes ago, Konstantine said:

lol yeah I remember but I'm talking about a constructive discussion here, not just pasting links. That being said, I miss having notifications about a new post in this thread. xD

i'll go an tell spammers to spam this thread if you miss it that much

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Konstantine

I've found the performance in Nightly to be less than ideal. No problems with latest Beta (and 8 content processes). Anyone else?

Nehemoth
19 minutes ago, Konstantine said:

I've found the performance in Nightly to be less than ideal. No problems with latest Beta (and 8 content processes). Anyone else?

Just returned to Nightly after almost 2 years or so being away, came from beta which I began to used it like a month ago or so.

Nightly has been great for me, first it eliminates a problem with the experimental feature AV1 CODEC on Youtube and also I'm in love with the Pin Tab feature, so simple and yet so powerful feature.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Sapnai

Hi

Nightly 68.0a1. How do I delete one URL from browser's history? It used to be so, that I select this url in Address/Awsome bar with Up Down keys and press Del. This is not the case anymore.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
PGHammer

A welcome surprise - you can have multiple x64 build tracks of Firefox (I just added Nightly) - this is new (at least to me).  (Even better, you can use a single Firefox account and sync settings set (great for testing).)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By zikalify
      Mozilla launches Firefox 85 with supercookie protection
      by Paul Hill

Mozilla has announced the availability of Firefox 85. The new update brings supercookie protection, better bookmark management, and an option to remove all of your saved logins in the password manager with one click rather than having to delete them one at a time. Today’s update also marks the first Firefox release to ship without support for Adobe Flash which recently reached end-of-life.

For years now, Firefox has been positioned itself as the go-to browser for the best privacy protections, it already has strong measures in place to prevent third-party tracking but with today’s update, it will also begin to stymie supercookies. Supercookies are cookies that are used to track you online but stay hidden from the browser, they even stick around after you clear your browser’s cookies. Firefox 85 isolates supercookies so they cannot track and profile you as you go from one website to the next.

The biggest visual change that users will see in this update is to the bookmarks bar. Even if you have your bookmarks bar hidden, it’ll still be displayed on new tabs. The firm says that this is the default setting implying that you can hide it on the new tabs page if you don’t like it. A new folder on the toolbar will also give you access to your bookmarks menu.

The final change worth mentioning in this update is the ability to delete all of your saved logins with the click of a button. In the past, you’d have to go through the list manually deleting them one by one which was time-consuming if you had lots of logins to go through.

If you’re already running Firefox it should update on its own although you can go to the hamburger menu, go to Help and then select About Firefox to get the update now. You will see the update downloading and then a button will appear letting you restart the browser to apply the update. If you’re on Linux, you’ll likely need to wait for your operating system to display the update. If you don’t have Firefox, you can download the latest version now.

• By zikalify
      Firefox Nightly starts faster on Windows with skeleton UI
      by Paul Hill

Mozilla has enabled a new feature in Firefox Nightly on Windows 10 called skeleton UI, the idea is that when you start the browser on the first boot, the browser shows a spartan window just to show that the browser is loading. According to Doug Thayer, a Firefox Platform Engineer, the change will give users a visual indication of the browser loading as much as 15 seconds faster than normal.

Typically, Firefox should load fairly quickly on subsequent launches but when launching it for the first time after boot it can be slow as data on the hard drive has to be accessed. By offering a skeleton UI, users will know that Firefox is loading and not try to mash the Firefox icon which will only cause delays as several more browser windows attempt to open.

The skeleton UI will show the outline of the URL bar and the tabs but icons in the browser chrome, tab names, and strings in the URL bar are just represented by thick grey lines to show that those bits of information are still loading.

As with other features Mozilla attempts to implement in Firefox, the skeleton UI is currently only available on Windows 10 systems. It’ll likely come to other supported Windows versions soon enough but there’s also macOS and Linux which would benefit from the feature too. Once the skeleton UI launches on the stable branch on Windows 10, hopefully, we won’t have to wait long for it to show up on other platforms.

Via: Ghacks

• By Copernic
      Firefox 85.0 released for download
      by Razvan Serea

Firefox is a fast, full-featured Web browser. It offers great security, privacy, and protection against viruses, spyware, malware, and it can also easily block pop-up windows. The key features that have made Firefox so popular are the simple and effective UI, browser speed and strong security capabilities.

Firefox has complete features for browsing the Internet. It is very reliable and flexible due to its implemented security features, along with customization options. Firefox includes pop-up blocking, tab-browsing, integrated Google search, simplified privacy controls, a streamlined browser window that shows you more of the page than any other browser and a number of additional features that work with you to help you get the most out of your time online.

What's new in Firefox 85.0:

Firefox now protects you from supercookies, a type of tracker that can stay hidden in your browser and track you online, even after you clear cookies. By isolating supercookies, Firefox prevents them from tracking your web browsing from one site to the next. It’s easier than ever to save and access your bookmarks. Firefox now remembers your preferred location for saved bookmarks, displays the bookmarks toolbar by default on new tabs, and gives you easy access to all of your bookmarks via a toolbar folder. The password manager now allows you to remove all of your saved logins with one click, as opposed to having to delete each login individually. Fixed:

Various security fixes. Changed:

Firefox no longer supports Adobe Flash. There is no setting available to re-enable Flash support. Enterprise:

Various bug fixes and new policies have been implemented in the latest version of Firefox. You can see more details in the Firefox for Enterprise 85 Release Notes. Developer:

Developer Information CSS: We have added support for the :focus-visible pseudo class. It's possible to prettify JS expressions in Console source code Editor (available in multiline mode) using a new toolbar button. Download: Firefox 85.0 for Windows | Firefox 64-bit | ~50.0 MB (Freeware)
      Download: Firefox 85.0 for Linux | 64-bit | ~70.0 MB
      Download: Firefox 85.0 for MacOS | 124.0 MB
      View: Firefox Home Page | Release Notes

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By zikalify
      Mozilla sets out its four climate commitments
      by Paul Hill

Mozilla has set out its climate commitments today as it aims to significantly reduce its emissions and mitigate what it can’t avoid. Things it plans to implement include switching its offices to renewable energy, reviewing its travel policies, exploring cloud optimisation, and developing toolkits “for product integrity and design principles.” It will share more details of its plans as it works them out.

The four commitments that the firm has pledged to follow include going carbon-neutral, significantly reducing its greenhouse gas footprint to meet or exceed the targets in the Paris Climate Agreement, it will lead openly by sharing materials, tools and methodologies so other firms can reduce their emissions in a similar way and it will look to develop products from a sustainability perspective and collaborate with others to “amplify” the impact.

Commenting on the firm’s climate change responsibilities, Mozilla Firefox CEO Mitchell Baker said:

Until now, the firm has been offsetting its emissions in order to be carbon-neutral but it knows that it’s better not to emit in the first place and this is what it wants to achieve in the coming years. It said that to bring down its emissions there will need to be a lot of change on the organisational and cultural level. Mozilla will provide training to staff and provide incentives to encourage employees to make changes.

In 2021, the firm said it will look to strengthen a remote culture and incentivise more sustainable set-ups, it’ll look ensure travel is only done when necessary, it wants to achieve zero waste in offices and co-working spaces and it wants to look at going paper-free.

• By zikalify
      Firefox 85 on Android will allow extension installs from AMO
      by Paul Hill

Mozilla has announced that Firefox users on Android will be able to install browser extensions directly from addons.mozilla.org (AMO) starting with Firefox 85 which is due for release on January 25. The company said that allowing users to install extensions directly from AMO will help smooth out the installation process of add-ons.

Until now, Firefox users on Android could only install add-ons that had been vetted directly from the browser’s Add-ons Manager; the firm will likely keep this installation method around. By allowing installation from AMO, users will be able to follow links to an extensions AMO page which friends may send them or that they read about online and easily install the extension from there.

The new installation buttons that add compatibility for Firefox on Android will be added to the AMO website on Thursday during a scheduled site update that the firm conducts at regular intervals. If you’re using a pre-release version of Firefox 85 or above, you will be able to use these installation buttons from Thursday.

Firefox’s refreshed Android browser was rolled out to users on the stable channel back in August last year but despite the complete overhaul of Firefox on Android, stats show that Firefox is still struggling on mobile. In July, when the final version of the old mobile Firefox was released, Firefox had 0.48% of the mobile market share. As of December 2020, it had only climbed to 0.51%.