Apple Sues Samsung Electronics Over 'Galaxy' Phone, Tab

SAN FRANCISCO (Dow Jones)--Apple Inc. (AAPL) sued Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. (005930.SE, SSNHY) claiming the Korean electronics giant copied the look and feel of its popular iPhone smartphones and iPad tablet computers.

The lawsuit, filed on April 15 in the Northern District of California, alleged that Samsung's smartphones, such as the "Galaxy S 4G," "Epic 4G," "Nexus S" and its "Galaxy Tab" touchscreen tablet, violated Apple's intellectual property.

"Rather than innovate and develop its own technology and a unique Samsung style for its smart phone products and computer tablets, Samsung chose to copy Apple's technology, user interface and innovative style in these infringing products," the lawsuit said.

Representatives of Apple and Samsung did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The lawsuit is sure to complicate the relationship between the two consumer electronics giants. Samsung makes microchips that are used in some Apple products.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20110418-711262.html

Why are they only suing samsung, considering they invented the tablet. Shouldn't they sue motorola, MS, and every other company that has one as well. Or is this like a warning shot.

Why are they only suing samsung, considering they invented the tablet. Shouldn't they sue motorola, MS, and every other company that has one as well. Or is this like a warning shot.

More like a shot in the dark. They didn't invent icons or bar style phones. Touchwhiz is very iPhone-esque, though.

Wow, when I thought Apple couldnt become more bitch of a company. A lot of things look like the iPad and iPhone. You think that Apple would consider that as flattery. Sounds to be Apple is butt hurt that Samsung has been doing well and Apple is missing out on the profits Samsung is getting.

And I got a Galaxy S phone and besides the face of the phone, everything else is different. The back looks different, the power plug, the buttons...

And I personally find Touchwiz better than apples interface...but thats MO.

Their problem lies with Google's Android copying iOS. Samsung is just a well built cover, far less threatening (see the Tab sales) than Android.

Wow, when I thought Apple couldnt become more bitch of a company. A lot of things look like the iPad and iPhone. You think that Apple would consider that as flattery. Sounds to be Apple is butt hurt that Samsung has been doing well and Apple is missing out on the profits Samsung is getting.

And I got a Galaxy S phone and besides the face of the phone, everything else is different. The back looks different, the power plug, the buttons...

I think the lawyers might be getting bored over at Apple HQ. It's been, what, a month since we've seen patent infrengement litigation come out of there?

I think the lawyers might be getting bored over at Apple HQ. It's been, what, a month since we've seen patent infrengement litigation come out of there?

You can copy the look and feel of something. Look at all the cars that are out there that look similar from diff makers. I think Apple is getting scared considering how well Android is doing and this is the only way they can fight back. I mean, they wont lower their prices and offer more features on their phone...so this is all they have

apple didnt invent the tablet. Tablets have been around for years. Windows xp had tablet features.

Almost every devices Apple has manufactured has Samsung chips in it (whether it is RAM, SSD, or microprocessors). Apple picked the wrong fight. Even though they might win this, this will hurt their business badly.

Their problem lies with Google's Android copying iOS. Samsung is just a well built cover, far less threatening (see the Tab sales) than Android.

Android isn't really copying iOS because Apple didn't invent anything revolutionary, technologies like multitouch and apps already existed before the iPhone came along.

well all Samsung has to do is slow down their supply (memory, processors etc.) to Apple and see how quickly Apple grinds to a hault while Apple figures out alternative sources. :p

(I know that's not how things work, just joking)

You can copy the look and feel of something. Look at all the cars that are out there that look similar from diff makers. I think Apple is getting scared considering how well Android is doing and this is the only way they can fight back. I mean, they wont lower their prices and offer more features on their phone...so this is all they have

yea, I can't see any other possible explanation but this ^^

It has a similar look and feel, but so do many iPad-like devices right now. Maybe Samsung's devices felt a little bit more like iOS, but it doesn't look more like a knockoff than other products out there. They're just gonna settle for a few billions of bucks and we'll never hear about this again.

well all Samsung has to do is slow down their supply (memory, processors etc.) to Apple and see how quickly Apple grinds to a hault while Apple figures out alternative sources. :p

(I know that's not how things work, just joking)

yea, I can't see any other possible explanation but this ^^

If Apple wants to continue to compete, they need to be more user friendly price and feature wise. They were successful for this long only because they had no real competition.

Tomorrow I will be suing Apple for hacking my brain and stealing original thoughts I had back in 2006 about an "Apple smartphone" which later became the iPhone.

Apple are taking farmers to court for producing apple's. Apple demand that Apple's must be renamed so people don't get confused.

Honestly, hope their case gets rejected. Who cares if it looks' remotely the same, it's a phone!