Win10 14926 update borked my Virtualbox install :-(

Hi peeps!

I tried to update my Win10 install on Virtualbox to the latest 14926 version, (Win10 was complaining about the date stamp on the current version) but that went horribly wrong. :(
It is now stuck in a bootloop, where it tries to fix itself, but generating a bluescreen in the process. I get a reboot, and the same thing again.
So the software version of rinse and repeat :cry:

Looking at downloading the 14926, and repairing the current install somehow, but am looking for people who are testing Win10 in a Virtualbox as well, -and- have dealt with a borked update in the past.
I'm trying to save some time on testing and such, and end up with nothing if it's maybe not possible.

Another question to Virtualbox users with Win10: Do you guys have terrible performance too when it comes to reboots and such? Often it takes an hour! just to reboot the damn Win10 installation.....

cheers for any answers,

rob

I see....... And it looks like the player can import .vdi files as well. Nice.
I'll give it a go, and let you know what happened :-)

thanks for the quick reply!

rob

Hi,
It's has been a bit of a pain so far....

I was able to export the Virtualbox Win10 pc into VMWare Player. After some testing to get things working properly but did not, I tried resetting the Win10 install back to a clean setup.
That didn't work either (it never got beyond the second boot screen for devices), so I dl'd the MS media tool and created a new ISO and tried to install the whole thing again cleanly.
For some reason Win10 didn't want to install on the drive (error 0x80300001), so I restarted the process with the added scsci driver floppy .flp file I found on the VMWare website, to see if that would help.

It didn't, and after a restart of the Player, I got the infamous ntldr is missing error.
Just to be on the safe side, I recreatied a VM with the iso and flp to be used at startup, and was able to switch the bootorder (CD first) by adding some lines to the .vmx file .
Now I can start with the ISO, but still I get an error about drivers for the drive on which I want to install Win10. I was able to extract the drivers, but the Win10 install will still not recognise them from a USB stick....

After an hour or two I gave up, and I now have two VM applications and no Win10 test pc ;-)
If you have any tips to get this working, I'm all ears.

thanks!
rob

Edited by Dutchie64

Small addition:

A friend mentioned sometimes a bad download can cause the install errors, so I re-re-re-did the whole thing with a new ISO, and started the install immediately from the ISO this time inside the VMWare Player.
This worked, and after the extra updates I'm running the 14393 release now.

Only thing now is that I don't have a key for the new install/VMWare Player combo.
Basically the hardware changed, so I have to see if MS will give me a new key somehow.....

So, that's all folks!

rob

Well.......... Sometimes you'll only find out when it hits you.... :huh:

So far, all my other Win & Linux VPC's run fine with VirtualBox. It's just Win10 that got worse and worse to deal with after the initial release.
I did search on the poor performance problem, but it it seems haven't found the proper discussions on this issue.

But I found my key I used for the previous install, and I'm running 'proper' again. I also installed the latest build from the Fast Ring, and all my test software,
Everything works again, and no issues so far! :)

cheers!

rob

Maybe my VBox is broken somehow with W10, or W10 doesn't install properly anymore on VBox.
Now running VMWare Player with W10, and it's lighting fast to boot and restore. It's way faster than it ever was in VBox.

It could be some odd hardware thing on my pc, but I'm happy I'm running W10 again on a VPC ;-)