Saudi Arabia to allow women to drive

In a royal decree signed by King Salman bin Abdulaziz, the order said it will be effective immediately but the rollout will take months, Saudi Press Agency reported on Tuesday.

A high level committee of ministers has been set up to examine the arrangements for the enforcement of the order.

The committee will take up the recommendations within 30 days from the date of the decree, and will be implemented between 23 and 24 of June 2018, based on the Islamic calendar.

//snip

Full article at Al Jazeera

Slowly but surely...still have a long way to go though (with regards to women rights)

• Like 1

Much of this seems due to their new Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman, who seems quite serious about reform under his Vision 2030 program.

I have a feeling that besides the  bureaucracy, economy, and infrastructure even more aggressive social reforms are on her way.

Hey, we can hope....

really? i guess i need read up on some history, makes you wonder why they introduced it...guess they didn't have the saying "what could possibly go wrong?" back then.

Just now, Slarlac249 said:

really? i guess i need read up on some history, makes you wonder why they introduced it...guess they didn't have the saying "what could possibly go wrong?" back then.

Why do you think the numerals in the various alphabets are called Arabic numerals? Back then, they were the kings of Mathematics and many other early advances. Then it all went wrong...

And it was introduced because of a very persuasive sheep herder conned a bunch of people into believing it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Why do you think the numerals in the various alphabets are called Arabic numerals

This really bugged me.  Recent trip to an Arab speaking nation, I got into an elevator and noticed the numbers weren't like "ours".  Seeing as we use Arabian notation, I was thrown a curveball - it seems Arabs don't use their own symbols.

On 9/27/2017 at 2:48 AM, FloatingFatMan said:

Why do you think the numerals in the various alphabets are called Arabic numerals? Back then, they were the kings of Mathematics and many other early advances. Then it all went wrong...

Not really.  Most of this happened during the 3rd caliphate.  During the Golden Age of Islam, the Arabs were quite advanced.