Naomi Parker Fraley, the real Rosie the Riveter, has died at 96

22-rosie-the-riveter-We-Can-Do-It.nocrop_w710.h2147483647.thumb.jpg.1ab83fe309d6fe9c04a88c4d6ea5bede.jpg

The woman believed to have been the real inspiration for the iconic female World War II factory worker Rosie the Riveter has died. She was 96.

Naomi Parker Fraley died Saturday in Longview, Wash. after a battle with cancer, KATU reported.

Following an arduous search by a Seton Hall University professor, Fraley was identified in 2016 as the “real” inspiration of the widely seen poster of a female factory worker flexing with the caption, “We can do it!”

Multiple women had been identified over the years as possible models for Rosie, however James J. Kimble honed in on Fraley after he ruled out the best known symbol for the iconic poster, Geraldine Hoff Doyle.

He published his findings in the journal Rhetoric & Public Affairs.

“The women of this country these days need some icons,” Fraley told People magazine after her identity was revealed. “If they think I’m one, I’m happy.”

Fraley was born in Tulsa, Okla. After the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, she and her younger sister Aida Wyn went to work at the Naval Air Station in Alameda. There were among the first women to do war work there.

More....

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/01/22/woman-called-inspiration-for-rosie-riveter-dies-at-96.html

Thanks to her and the other Rosie's from Hawaii to Russia (where they were 70% of the industrial labor force), the Allies won WW-II. 

My mother was a "Rosie," cranking out in B-24 bombers at Willow Run while dad was flying attack bombers.

4 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

96, and it took cancer to take her out?  Way to go, girl! That's an impressive innings for anyone!

My grandfather is 93 and Dr say he is healthier than most 70 years old he's seen. They don't make them like they used to.