Amazon raises the price of prime to $119

Those who sign up for a new Amazon Prime account starting on May 11 will see a new higher price for an annual membership, with Amazon announcing plans to raise the price to $119 up from $99/year during its Q1 earnings call this week.

For those already subscribed to Amazon Prime, they too will see the same price increase, but Amazon states it will go into effect for them on June 16.

This is the first change to the annual Prime price since 2014 when it was raised to $99/year from $79/year.

While those with Prime enjoy free 2-day shipping on select items, access to Prime Video, as well as plenty of other perks (like Whole Foods discounts), Amazon states the price to run the service continues to climb.

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/04/26/amazon-prime-price-increase-may-11/

It wouldn't be so bad if their 2 day shipping hadn't gone to ######. It use to be at your door in 2 days now it's like a week. Last 3 things ordered...

1) 1TB Hard drive (Prime sold by Amazon) Ordered April 5th, Arrived April 9th

2) Samsung 860 EVO (Prime sold by Amazon) Ordered April 20th Arrived April 23rd.

3) Ordered April 12th arrived April 16th

My mom just ordered a shield TV on April 25th and it won't be arriving til May 1st.

I stopped my Prime after two bad Prime 2 Day shipments in November and December. Customer service was no help and kept giving me template responses. One of the orders it was being shipped by their own courier service and still never got it, track shipment never updated past left the warehouse. customer service said they got in contact with the courier and I would get it the next day. Next day, nothing and track shipment still the same so I contacted customer service again and the first response was a refund. I told them I wanted the item and they just said reorder it but the price has gone up (3rd party but fulfilled by Amazon). Never got my $5 "we're sorry" credit also.

Next time I'm going to copy and paste and/or take a screen shot of my customer service chats. The other order was a gift for someone for Christmas and both items were 2 day prime shipping. Ordered on December 16 and she got them on January 3.

Bought Monster Hunter World on my last day of prime for the discount and cancelled Prime. 

Omg, it's the end of the world, my package didn't arrive in 2 days! Amazon needs to get their act together and provide diapers instead of bottles for their warehouse workers to speed things up to justify this price increase!

2 minutes ago, spy beef said:

Omg, it's the end of the world, my package didn't arrive in 2 days! Amazon needs to get their act together and provide diapers instead of bottles for their warehouse workers to speed things up to justify this price increase!

Let's pretend someone was only getting prime for the 2-day shipping. If it doesn't arrive in 2 days then what's the point of $119 per year?

Hello~

While i'm not much of a logistics person .. when it comes to shipping things ...  but   ( yes having had Amazon prime  as well as other "prime" -ish memberships)  having had an almost exact conversation  with  multiple shipping companies and distributors/sellers.. I can speak from experience from this ..

If I'm not mistaken they also explicitly  say .. BUSINESS DAYS   for shipping  DEPENDANT  on when (date and time)  the item was ordered.. regardless of what membership you have..  and no matter what company .. 

Sometimes , your just better off just doing a kind of bulk shipment  and meet the requirements  for free shipping .. and then just patiently wait for the items to get to you .. 

When i've had stuff shipped from Amazon or New Egg   they are usually a day ahead if not EXACTLY   on the day they say it will be at my door step..  

Just my humble opinion.

~LoneWolf

5 hours ago, warwagon said:

Let's pretend someone was only getting prime for the 2-day shipping. If it doesn't arrive in 2 days then what's the point of $119 per year?

Warwagon~

If you do ALOT of shipping  then yes it does help and worth the price  .. to an extent .. 

I've never had any problems with packages being delayed. One appeared a day early today. I suppose I live closer to a distribution center.

I begrudgingly hand Amazon more money. Not only is Prime a good deal, their video, music, and book services are excellent. Kindle Prime free book access... is great.