Site Maintenance - September 25th to mid October

Over the next few weeks, we will be performing various maintenance tasks behind the scenes to upgrade our hosting platform. Most of this we will be able to perform with little or no downtime, but there will be small periods where the site may become unavailable - don't panic, it's all part of the plan!

• DaveLegg pinned and featured this topic
6 hours ago, DaveLegg said:

Over the next few weeks, we will be performing various maintenance tasks behind the scenes to upgrade our hosting platform. Most of this we will be able to perform with little or no downtime, but there will be small periods where the site may become unavailable - don't panic, it's all part of the plan!

Don't Panic?! it's part of the 'plan' hmm, seems kind of an ominous warning there! :D

2 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Don't Panic?! it's part of the 'plan' hmm, seems kind of an ominous warning there! :D

It's a feature :P

7 hours ago, DaveLegg said:

sldgh.thumb.jpg.9faa569af9592998fa69fee919a72862.jpg

1 minute ago, mpmc said:

Random question, why choose the UK as your server home? 😁

@Steven P. and most of the other founders are based in the UK so it makes sense to me to have the servers closer to home now that they're able :)

43 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

@Steven P. and most of the other founders are based in the UK so it makes sense to me to have the servers closer to home now that they're able :)

Actually Steve and Marcel are in the Netherlands. But I look after the servers, and the datacenter is around an hour away from me. In the past we've had trouble when we've needed to rely on third parties to deal with hardware issues, so it needed to be somewhere accessible.

On 10/5/2018 at 6:18 PM, kukubau said:

That means bye bye AWS?

We'll still be using portions of AWS (Cloudfront CDN for example), but the servers will no longer be EC2 instances.

As a general progress update, the new servers are now installed in the datacenter, with the new MySQL server replicating in real-time from the current instance on EC2. We're on track for switching over the site next week. I'll update again when we have a firm day & time set for the switch over.

• DaveLegg unpinned this topic