Huawei/EMUI lockscreen/camera question

Hi all,

Anyone running a Huawei P9/Lite phone?
I'm trying to get rid of the camera option/icon on the lockscreen, but so far the Apps>Camera>Notifcations>Show on Lockscreen toggle doesn't do squat. Even after a reboot on the phone.
I am running MS Launcher as well, but it seems that doesn't make a difference.

EMUI 5.03/Android 7.0 with latest security patches installed.

cheers!

rob

p.s. In case you're wondering why, I have sneaky nephews who use the camera app as soon as I 'loose' my phone ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2019 at 4:55 AM, Dutchie64 said:

Hi all,

Anyone running a Huawei P9/Lite phone?
I'm trying to get rid of the camera option/icon on the lockscreen, but so far the Apps>Camera>Notifcations>Show on Lockscreen toggle doesn't do squat. Even after a reboot on the phone.
I am running MS Launcher as well, but it seems that doesn't make a difference.

EMUI 5.03/Android 7.0 with latest security patches installed.

cheers!

rob

p.s. In case you're wondering why, I have sneaky nephews who use the camera app as soon as I 'loose' my phone ;)

Apparently you aren't the only one finding this annoying. I found a few other forums with posts, similar to yours, that detail disabling the camera in lockscreen settings does nothing. This seems to be a long standing bug that Huawei hasn't acknowledge or fixed. A work-around I found if your system has it, is to download a lockscreen theme that doesn't have the camera icon on it. Go to themes app>customize>lock screen style and choose one without the camera option or download one.

Hi,

Yeah, I figured installing a theme (with occasional adds... thanks Huawei..) is the only way to get rid of the camera lockscreen functionality.
Unfortunately the themes browser isn't really clear on what themes remove the camera icon on the lockscreen :(
And installing additional stuff to get rid of a function that's there is a bit silly ;)

The camera option on the lockscreen is a nice idea, but looking at security, everybody having the option to 'unlock' and use the camera is just a bad idea.

cheers!

rob

sounds like at the moment the only real option would be installing a custom rom since huawei seems unwilling to fix the long standing bug.

unfortunately it's become a pain to unlock the bootloader now that huawei doesn't support it officially anymore. There's a tool that can generate the unlock code off your EMEI but it's like $5 a code so that's up to you if a custom rom is worth that price.

Not going to unlock the phone, just for this.
I will see what theme allows me to remove the camera icon from the lockscreen, or I might search the Play Store for one.

There's also the security fixes, and Huawei isn't really quick with those either for my version of the P9Lite.
So at some point I might transition to another phone anyway.

Not yet though, as the phone runs just fine, and does everything I need.

rob