People don't become 'adults' until their 30s, say scientists

People don't become 'adults' until their 30s, say scientists

Have you ever been told to "grow up" in your 20s or need an excuse as to why you still find cat videos on the internet really funny?

Well now you might have an official reason as to why you're not acting like a mature adult.

People don't become fully "adult" until they're in their 30s, according to brain scientists.

Source and more

I must say that I've never felt like an adult. I was having dinner with a friend and my mum, and we all said that we felt like we were still 18, even though our ages ranged from late-20's to late-50. Although I turned 31 last month and I seem to have noticed that I have had more confidence in my work life and I put up with less #### in my personal life recently. Maybe that should be the definition of an adult. :laugh:

This remind me of an early study.

They took MRI of teens as they looked at pictures of people with different emotions and asked to identify the emotion.

What they discovered, surpassingly, is most teens confused a pictures of "fear" as "anger" and the frontal lobe blood flow was below normal.

They found the frontal lobe was still developing in to late twenties.

6 minutes ago, ncoday said:

And yet some democrats want to lower the voting age to 16...

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/434115-pelosi-says-she-backs-lowering-voting-age-to-16

Why bring politics in to this, with this argument I could say raise the gun ownership age.

7 minutes ago, ncoday said:

And yet some democrats want to lower the voting age to 16...

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/434115-pelosi-says-she-backs-lowering-voting-age-to-16

That's because, until their brain is fully developed they don't take into account "Consequences" LOL!

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, Eternal Tempest said:

This remind me of an early study.

They took MRI of teens as they looked at pictures of people with different emotions and asked to identify the emotion.

What they discovered, surpassingly, is most teens confused a pictures of "fear" as "anger" and the frontal lobe blood flow below normal.

They found the frontal lobe was still developing in to late twenties.

Why bring politics in to this, with this argument I could say raise the gun ownership age.

Raising the age for gun ownership has already been done recently and had no effect that I am aware of.

28 minutes ago, Eternal Tempest said:

Found the source by the way:

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/teenbrain/interviews/todd.html

It was about 50% of teens that could not identify fear.

Jesus. I was the opposite. I think it was due to being bullied as a child, but I was fearful of plenty of things. Even today my knee-jerk reaction to a surprise is to flinch. People get a kick out of that. 😕

I didn't start feeling like an adult until a few years after I finished college(s), about 28. I'm not sure if that has to do with actual physical changes with body/mind, or the responsibilities I started to inherit and obtain. Having a full time real job, with huge responsibilities, rewards & consequences, on top of home/car and a real relationship, losing those due to acting like an immature goof is probably a real motivator for most people. It actually hit me one day, where I didn't feel like a kid in school/college anymore. 18 was definitely a big eye opener for me, but being 30 something now. Yeah, I can see what scientists are saying.

I also went out to a college bar during weekend recently, one I used to frequent quite regularly, and while it was fun, it certainly wasn't as thrilling as it used to be, and I definitely didn't do some of the things I would of back in my college days. Felt old, and judged some people for being stupid, when myself 10 years ago would have been doing exactly what they were doing. Standard growing up. 

1 minute ago, Gotenks98 said:

Did anyone in this study actually have real adult bills? Like mortgage, daycare costs, or student loans? Until then you are not an adult.

Tends to suggest why we have the requirement of being at least 35yo before you can be president in the US.

Just now, ncoday said:

Tends to suggest why we have the requirement of being at least 35yo before you can be president in the US.

What are you on about with politics in this thread? Are you suggesting that people not be allowed to vote until their 30s as well? I mean you certainly implied it earlier.

i, personally, felt this way until i turned 30. i see 20-somethings now as just older children. I cant speak to past generations, but current generations grow up much later and start their real adult lives later. that is, moving out of your parents house, getting a starter home and/or mortgage, a real job, etc.

i look at kids in their 20s and theyre just big kids. theyre doing child stuff that simply involves beer. "Hey dude! we're going to run through the forest and swim through the mud... but... wait for it... there's beer at the end of each obstacle!" "hey, bro. we're going to ironically go to this art exhibition, but we're going to sneak in weed and beer. it's going to be epic." "hey man, wouldnt it be awesome if we went totally wasted to this haunted house!?"

/get off my lawn 😂

3 minutes ago, shockz said:

What are you on about with politics in this thread? Are you suggesting that people not be allowed to vote until their 30s as well? I mean you certainly implied it earlier.

No, I suggested that the study tends to support possibly why you cannot RUN for president until you are 35yo, not vote. Not necessarily whether I agree with that requirement or not.

It doesn't help that we're artificially prolonging childhood in several ways.

Start with reduced expectations in K-12; reduced childhood responsibilities, increasing certification requirements for jobs which were an apprenticeship or 2 year to a bachelor's +;  living in their parent's basement to their mid-20's or extended dorm life, etc

Breeds immaturity. 

Many of today's young people make a lot of noise and have opinions up the wazoo, but these are often not based in the really-real world and lack context. Immaturity writ in neon.

Sounds about right. The light that was shining in my eyes in early to mid 20s is gone.

On 3/19/2019 at 4:27 PM, DocM said:

It doesn't help that we're artificially prolonging childhood in several ways.

Start with reduced expectations in K-12; reduced childhood responsibilities, increasing certification requirements for jobs which were an apprenticeship or 2 year to a bachelor's +;  living in their parent's basement to their mid-20's or extended dorm life, etc

Breeds immaturity. 

Many of today's young people make a lot of noise and have opinions up the wazoo, but these are often not based in the really-real world and lack context. Immaturity writ in neon.

I'm a lot more concerned by the opinions of adults these days (~30-50). Lot of them are surely not living in the same world as me. The only thing they say if you try to discuss politic with them is SJW. I swear i can't spend a single day without hearing SJW as an argument in a political discussion 10 times a day. As a mid life man my generation worry me a lot. We often are just a bunch of bigots with a lack of empathy. The child king generation (late generation x and early generation y) is not aging well at all. Hope their children will do better.

1 hour ago, LaP said:

>

The child king generation (late generation x and early generation y) is not aging well at all. Hope their children will do better.

Dunno about you, but my dad & uncles were having none of that child-king crap.