Michael Avenatti faces up to 330 years

Can't believe they are all easily detectable offences. Did he think he was going to get away with it? 

Edited by Rippleman

I don't like the man, but that amount of time is just crazy.  I'm all for punishment, but not stupid amounts, like that doctor that was molesting the gymnasts getting 300+ years.  Just say he will get life, period, not this 200, 300, and 400 year sentence junk.

10 minutes ago, wakjak said:

Politics how? 

agreed so I've moved to Real World News for clarity :)

1 minute ago, macrosslover said:

I don't like the man, but that amount of time is just crazy.  I'm all for punishment, but not stupid amounts, like that doctor that was molesting the gymnasts getting 300+ years.  Just say he will get life, period, not this 200, 300, and 400 year sentence junk.

I've heard the reasoning is because you can get so much time knocked off for good behavior and such. but I totally agree with you

Detestable is right.

I think a lot of lawyers do get away with it, and he only got so publicly caught because of his Stormy representation.

1 minute ago, macrosslover said:

I don't like the man, but that amount of time is just crazy.

Detention rates can get extremely outrageously either far too long or far too short. I'll save my rage for people in jail for life for minor marijuana possession charges or cops getting 2 years for shooting an unarmed person.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, macrosslover said:

Apart from the individual victims getting their sentences tacked on, that amount can be halved as time served in some countries making it 150 years, and then on appeal it can be shortened further still, I agree that it looks stupid, but there are several reasons for it.

• Like 2

He's been "indicted" a few times an nothing stuck so far.  Let's see where this goes, if he's guilty he's guilty.

I know he's been going after Nike for a whole slew of things and this might be their way of retaliating.

3 minutes ago, primortal said:

He's been "indicted" a few times an nothing stuck so far.  Let's see where this goes, if he's guilty he's guilty.

I know he's been going after Nike for a whole slew of things and this might be their way of retaliating.

This trial involves five of his clients and a lawsuit against the County of Los Angeles in United States District Court (which is why the Feds are involved) - the clients won the case.  The charges against Avenatti involve what was done with the damages awarded to his clients.

As most of you (in the United States) *should* be aware, there are rules governing awards in civil judgments - such as how much the lawyer is permitted to charge the clients - this is where Avenatti got into hot water.  (Unlike in specific types of cases - such as worker's compensation - where these rules are not merely spelled out, but are public documents, the rules are known to the lawyers (and law firms) and are *supposed* to be shared with their clients - not only can you get fined and/or jailed for violating them - which is the case with Avenatti - you can lose your law license atop that.)  It is also completely separate from the NIKE case.

15 hours ago, PGHammer said:

This trial involves five of his clients and a lawsuit against the County of Los Angeles in United States District Court (which is why the Feds are involved) - the clients won the case.  The charges against Avenatti involve what was done with the damages awarded to his clients.

As most of you (in the United States) *should* be aware, there are rules governing awards in civil judgments - such as how much the lawyer is permitted to charge the clients - this is where Avenatti got into hot water.  (Unlike in specific types of cases - such as worker's compensation - where these rules are not merely spelled out, but are public documents, the rules are known to the lawyers (and law firms) and are *supposed* to be shared with their clients - not only can you get fined and/or jailed for violating them - which is the case with Avenatti - you can lose your law license atop that.) 

Speculative on your part.

15 hours ago, PGHammer said:

It is also completely separate from the NIKE case.

Why, you don't think Nike isn't capable of trying to smear/discredit Avenatti so his case gets thown out?

• Like 2

On 4/11/2019 at 3:53 PM, Brandon H said:

agreed so I've moved to Real World News for clarity :)

I've heard the reasoning is because you can get so much time knocked off for good behavior and such. but I totally agree with you

Since 1984 there's no parole in the US federal prison system, and time off for good behavior maxes out at 54 days/year served. The most he could get knocked off a 330 year sentence is about 49 years.

Of course this is if the sentences are served consecutively (ex: 10+10+13 = 33 years). If they're served concurrently (in parallel) his max time would be that of the longest individual sentence (ex: 10+10+13 = 13 years).

Who decides which? The sentencing judge, who has broad discretion. Tick off a federal  judge and....

Edited by DocM

• 2 weeks later...

Avenatti...never liked the guy and he is being accused of a lot of things and being brought up on charges.  Including 36 indictments on tax  dodging, perjury, and theft.   Wonder how Biden feels about Avenatti endorsing him.  I guess Avenatti is hoping for a pardon if Joe wins.

• Facepalm 1

13 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Avenatti...never liked the guy and he is being accused of a lot of things and being brought up on charges.  Including 36 indictments on tax  dodging, perjury, and theft.   Wonder how Biden feels about Avenatti endorsing him.  I guess Avenatti is hoping for a pardon if Joe wins.

Wonder how trump feels about the KKK endorsing him? I don't think either care either way...

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, shockz said:

Wonder how trump feels about the KKK endorsing him? I don't think either care either way...

How is this about Trump?  There is thread for him.

• Facepalm 2

35 minutes ago, techbeck said:

How is this about Trump?  There is thread for him.

uh huh. Sigh. You equated someone sketchy like Avenatti endorsing Biden, as if somehow that effects his validity as a person/candidacy somehow. To which I provided an example of yet another lousy person/orgnaization endorsing another presidential candidate, and now president. In the end, it won't matter at all on someone like Avenatti endorsing Biden. Just as it didn't matter for the KKK endorsing Trump. Nice try though. Use those critical thinking skills, connect the dots. lol

Also by your logic, how is this thread about Biden?

Edited by shockz
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, margrave said:

This man doesnt deserve to continue living. Just kill him. Price of one bullet vs room and board for this monster. Easy choice.

on paper; in reality they make the death penalty stupidly more expensive than just letting him rot in prison. it's so stupid IMO

they do it so judges don't just jump to the death penalty all the time, but in reality it makes it so basically no one gets it, even those completely deserving...

15 minutes ago, margrave said:

This man doesnt deserve to continue living. Just kill him. Price of one bullet vs room and board for this monster. Easy choice.

Guy needs to be disbarred at the very least.  Why he has not already when people's careers have been ruined for lesser accusations, I have no idea.  Report a few days ago he is being accused of stealing 2mil from a basketball play which the players ex was supposed to get.  Death penalty is a bit extreme in this case.

8 hours ago, shockz said:

lso by your logic, how is this thread about Biden?

Consider this thread is about Avenatti and he recently endorsed Biden.  I made a comment he is trying to make friends in high places due to the amount of trouble this guy is facing.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/joe-biden-michael-avenatti-2020-support

And way, more curious how the Nike thing works out for Avenatti.   Nike was cooperating with the FEDs and he thought he could pull a fast one on them.  Funny.

5 minutes ago, DocM said:

Where's a naked singularity when you really need one?  Spaghettification for this idiot somehow seems appropriate.

Ok, I need you to translate this.  It is late, I am tired...long day.  Thanks

4 hours ago, techbeck said:

Ok, I need you to translate this.  It is late, I am tired...long day.  Thanks

Singularity = the core of a black hole, infinite density. As you approach gravitational tidal forces stretch your atoms into a thin noodle - like spaghetti. 

• 4 weeks later...