Teacher Who Was Suspended After She Showed Photo of Her Wife Reaches $100,000 Settlement

In August 2017, Stacy Bailey, an art teacher at Charlotte Anderson Elementary School in Arlington, Texas, introduced herself to her fourth-grade class with a slide show of her childhood, parents, friends and family.

Included in the mix was a photo of her with her partner, Julie Vasquez, who Ms. Bailey explained at the time was her future wife. They were dressed as “Dory” and “Nemo” from the movie “Finding Nemo.”

The presentation touched off a complaint from a parent that Ms. Bailey was “promoting the homosexual agenda.” Ms. Bailey was suspended for eight months from the public school, where she had taught for 10 years and had twice been voted Teacher of the Year.

This week, more than two years later, the Mansfield Independent School District agreed to pay Ms. Bailey $100,000 to settle a federal lawsuit that she had filed accusing the district of discriminating against her because of her sexual orientation.

Under the settlement, the district also agreed to provide mandatory training on L.G.B.T.Q. issues for its human resources and counseling staff members and to consider adopting a formal policy prohibiting discrimination based on sexual orientation.

The district will also expunge Ms. Bailey’s suspension from her record and provide her with a letter of recommendation for potential future employers.

[...]

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/27/us/stacy-bailey-mansfield-teacher.html

I'm surprised she only got $100k, if anyone in any of our public industries discriminated on race, gender or disability I'd of thought there'd be 7 figures.

5 minutes ago, shockz said:

How is a picture of her wife in a nemo costume promoting the homosexual agenda? 

it's not

any reference to 2 people of the same gender "being together" is pushing an agenda in some peoples' minds. it's disgusting that some people are so against anything that can possibly be "different"

1 minute ago, Brandon H said:

it's not

any reference to 2 people of the same gender "being together" is pushing an agenda in some peoples' minds. it's disgusting that some people are so against anything that can possibly be "different"

Looks like we know who the "real" snowflakes are.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/27/2020 at 12:22 PM, Brandon H said:

it's not

I will admit that I do not like the whole homosexuality BS, but, since my daughter has come out, I am trying to be more tolerant, and I would never have an issue with someone who likes the same gender being a teacher, etc.