Math is racist now?

The term racist/racism is way over used and applied to many situations where it has no business to be.  The terms are losing their meaning.  Society is becoming a way where anything said or done, people can take offense.   Like what to be called.   My response to such a question will be along the lines of.... "Sir, do you identify as a human.  Negative, I am a meat Popsicle"   Because I will always have silly answer for silly questions like this.

Ahh Oregon, I do not understand that state, first the Governor decides that teachers are more important then the elderly for the Covid vaccine, then they go and decriminalize all drugs, and now it is racist to show your work on math? I'm going to ask my brother who happens to be a teacher in Oregon about this! 

4 hours ago, techbeck said:

Sir, do you identify as a human.  Negative, I am a meat Popsicle"

That's what I use!

Although the report says:

Instead of focusing on one right answer, the toolkit encourages teachers to “come up with at least two answers that might solve this problem.” 

I'd say there is only one answer to 1+1=?

Life isn't about providing solutions that "might solve this problem" - it's about providing the best course of action that WILL solve the problem.

Problem: Flood from a burst pipe in your room

Solution 1: Scream and hope it'll stop

Solution 2: Turn the stop tap off

There is only one solution anyone should ever think of doing...

This doesn't make any sense to me. And the issue I have is that there are no examples provided to show how maths is racist. But there is one bit in the article that really doesn't help them sway me to their way of thinking:

In one section of the “Dismantling Racism” workbook, the argument is made that “only white people can be racist in our society, because only white people as a group have that power.” 

• Like 1

This is (and no pun intended) a case of 2+2=5.

Let's arguably say that there's a higher rate of mathematical ability in white kids.  This doesn't mean that "black kids are less able to do maths" - there's gonna be a myriad of socio-economic reasons behind it.  I think that's a fair comment, right?

And I will suggest that if such issues exist, then addressing them is a laudable goal.

THAT DOESN'T MEAN MATHS IS RACIALLY BIASED!

###### sake, I am a common-sense driven, left leaning person.  I can use the word "progressive" with a straight face, but comprehend how and why it triggers some.  But come on, this sort of BS only fans the flames of the "We can't even call a black sheep black anymore" brigade.  Imbecilic!

So I asked my brother about this, and he sent me this reply:

Haha! Yes. I don't know whether anything will come of it~likely not~but it is, er, very ridiulous. Eurocentric, they call it.

31 minutes ago, warwagon said:

I think there should be repercussions when someone plays the racism card on something so stupid.

Absolutely.   The reason why these things are abused so much is because there are no consequences.  People use the race card as a crutch for everything, and it desensitizes the true race problems that still exist.
Allowing cancel culture to thrive is making humanity go backwards.  It's such a shame that we can't talk about or publish media of the black or native American people because it's "racist".

31 minutes ago, warwagon said:

I think there should be repercussions when someone plays the racism card on something so stupid.

It should be argued out by sensible adults and given the time it deserves to understand where the correllation comes from.

37 minutes ago, neufuse said:

"Trust science"... but not math because math is racist

Isn't math a kind of science, though?

6 minutes ago, neufuse said:

that was the joke... trust science but not math witch is one of the key parts of science

:argh:

This is like one of those articles you used to read in The Onion.  How is solving for the correct answer and showing your work part of white supremacy?  

18 minutes ago, devHead said:

This is like one of those articles you used to read in The Onion.  How is solving for the correct answer and showing your work part of white supremacy?  

I guess because only privileged white kids somehow can show work correctly so it's holding others back * shrugs *

4 minutes ago, neufuse said:

I guess because only privileged white kids somehow can show work correctly so it's holding others back * shrugs *

I think it's because people today are so worried about offending anyone that they are now manufacturing problems to solve that don't exist. Just like with Linux scrubbing things from its code referring to "whitelist" and "blacklist" even though the historical context of those words have absolutely nothing to do with race. Or the fact an ex-coworker of mine was in a meeting where people legitimately questioned if "hash it out" was appropriate language for the workplace. People are just assuming things that have been around longer than 10 years are automatically based on some oppressive, white supremacist world view.

26 minutes ago, Emn1ty said:

I think it's because people today are so worried about offending anyone that they are now manufacturing problems to solve that don't exist. Just like with Linux scrubbing things from its code referring to "whitelist" and "blacklist" even though the historical context of those words have absolutely nothing to do with race. Or the fact an ex-coworker of mine was in a meeting where people legitimately questioned if "hash it out" was appropriate language for the workplace. People are just assuming things that have been around longer than 10 years are automatically based on some oppressive, white supremacist world view.

I've been in a meeting where we were asked if Scrum was a derogatory term by HR....... and they wanted us to "stop using it"

• Facepalm 2