nforce2 network adapter no worky!

Just installed Windows 7 Beta 1 as a dual boot with my good old XP Pro.

Trouble is I can't get on the interwebitubes with 7 due to the Network adapter not working. I have tried to install several drivers, there isn't any nforce2 vista drivers on the nvidia site. I can't uninstall the adapter either.

It just tells me the adapter failed to start, and is not working. All the diagnostic tools fail to find a problem and even, and I had to laugh at this, telling me to go online to fix the problem.

Has anyone else got an nforce2 network adapter to work in 7, I recall yonks ago when I tried Vista that it was a bit of a mare to get it to work and I can't recall how I did it.

Also a google search came up with nothing. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

nForce2 is also not officially supported in Vista. Have you tried to extract the Win2k3 or XP drivers and to install them from Device manager.

yes and 7 says that I already have the latest drivers so won't install any alternative. Trouble is it won't let me uninstall the drivers or the network adapter.

Any more suggestions/work arounds. I really would like to play with 7 but this is holding me back.

nForce2 is also not officially supported in Vista. Have you tried to extract the Win2k3 or XP drivers and to install them from Device manager.

In most cases where there is no Vista driver, an XP driver will indeed work (that was the case for the 3Com 3C905 series Ethernet adapters, none of which have Vista drivers). For the newer series nForce Ethernet adapters (especially nForce 6xx/7xx), they are directly supported in Windows 7, but need to be restarted post-install (for some reason, they default to a 169.254.x.x. IP; disabling and then re-enabling the adapter post-install solves the problem). Also on the nForce chipset front, Windows 7 supports the entirety of the nForce 6 *and* 7 series chipsets except, amusingly, the System Management Bus adapter (however, the Vista driver will work).

that doesn't work either. I cant get the damn think to uninstall, and when I disable it and then re-enable nothing happens.

Would I be better of going and spending ?5 on a pci network card?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the very same problem, and I think there IS a solution...

for windows 7 nforce2 driver installation procedure:

1: go to : http://nf2.stuff.googlepages.com/

2: download NF123LR1.0 driver package

3: install all drivers

4: after installed all drivers you must update the gart driver or you can not install display card, go to device manager and select system device , choose nforce pci -agp 400 brige and select update driver online. after new gart driver installed restart computer. the display card can be installed automatically or can be installed by yourself

Haven't tried it out yet, but if I get it to work, I'll let you guys know :)

I think it should work... If I can get the Networking Controller to work I can easily update the GART driver, and then there shouldn't be problems with the display card... But even if there is, maybe it could work by installing the GART driver from the original XP drivers...

I hope this works :)