BBC introduces flexible TV with online trial

The future of television is almost upon us: the day when we spend our train or bus journey to work catching up on the shows we missed the night, or even several days, before.

Later this month, the BBC will launch a pilot project that could lead to all television programmes being made available on the internet. Viewers will be able to scan an online guide and download any show. Programmes would be viewed on a computer screen or could be burned to a DVD and watched on a television set. Alternatively, programmes could be downloaded to a Personal Digital Assistant (PDA), a hand-held computer that is becoming increasingly popular in Britain and sells from about ?70.

The revolutionary plan has been drawn up by Ashley Highfield, the BBC's director of new media and technology. He revealed details of the project to The Independent last week. He said: "If we don't enter this market, then exactly what happened to the music industry could happen to us, where we ignore it, keep our heads in the sand and everybody starts posting the content up there and ripping us off."

Continued...

i doubt that :wacko:

i dont see why they shouldn't be for Uk viewers -we pay the license fee = content is "free"; asides from expected hardware costs i think it will be free.

i dont see why they shouldn't be for Uk viewers -we pay the license fee = content is "free"; asides from expected hardware costs i think it will be free.

Yeah, and they'll probably keep the adverts in as well (which pays for it).