What is Indigo?

What is Indigo?

Indigo is the next generation of Microsoft's .Net Web services product. It is the middleware that will provide some of the high availability, distributed features that users and businesses will require in order to make Web services truly ubiquitous. Indigo acts as the communications layer of the WinFX API. For now not a lot is known about Indigo but over the next few days I shall update this post with information gathered from PDC.

Ok... for my first post here I'll try to explain what Indigo *seems* to be...

As Eduardo said Indigo is the next generation of application server and will (maybe) replace COM+

In fact, instead of exposing types, classes and methods you send messages... but I'm wondering something... it means that instead of having your application that use a COM component initializing it and using it itself the "COM application" will be launched ? So you'll have two process instead of one ? One for your application and one for the Indigo app ? So if someone kill the process of your indigo app, the other application will crash, no ?

But I don't really know how this will work, I think it have to be explained by Microsoft...

I guess that Indigo will replace all the calls at the app server to a high performace web service (soap) call and inside indigo it will make the inner call to the COM app, .net app or Web Service app.

• 6 months later...

So with web services today, you have your standard application object development models (Windows DNA, J2EE, CORBA), and web services enables application to application communication using XML for the data stream and SOAP for messaging. Web services today (in the case of Windows) rely on the underlying object model to provide things such as transaction support, security, authentication etc ...... essentially most of the functions provided by COM+ today.

Indigo is the plan to take COM+ and the functions it servces and provide an open web services based version of this for the Windows platform.

• 2 months later...

Wow, awesome. I can't wait to upgrade to Longhorn when it comes out.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Express Edition?? What do you mean? Express Edition of what? :)

Indigo is just Longhorn's .NET API for communicating across processes, etc.

• 1 year later...