IPB v2.0.0 PDR 1 Released!

Yes folks, after only a few months in development, IPB 2.0.0 is ready for it's first public outing!

Please read the next few lines even if you skim the rest - it's very important.

* This release is not suitable for a main production board, it is for testing only

* This is a very late alpha/early beta build - expect a LOT of bugs

* The instructions in the zip are WRONG - please read further down for more info

* There are many sections left to complete and this release does not reflect the final build quality

* There is NO upgrade path from 1.2 or 1.3 in this release

* Do not start translations, the languages will be redone during the first few betas

* By all means experiment in the skinning manager but remember that ALL the templates are to be redone and renamed so any work done now will not be saved.

Known Issues

The subscriptions manager does not work properly with 2.0.0 yet

Email notification / validation does not work properly with 2.0.0 yet

This is the first public release of Invision Power Board v2.0.0 and you should expect lots of bugs. If you find one, please CHECK FIRST to make sure it's not already been reported. If it's not, then please report it in the appropriate forums. We know about several IE style issues both on the board and in the ACP so there's no need to report those and we know about several ACP javascript errors so there's no need to report those. I used Mozilla to develop IPB and if you want a 'pure' experience, use Mozilla or Firefox.

Please have fun with the new skinning system but be warned that the skinning templates and template bit names will be changed during the beta stage, skinning now should just be for fun - please don't expect any skins to work in later releases.

The same goes for languages, the system will change a little during the beta releases. Please don't get too involved in translations at this point.

In general, this is very much work in progress. Skins, languages, images, CSS, code and features are not final and there is much work to be done still including a final optimization and 'polish'. By that we mean that the quality of this beta is lower than you would expect in a final release.

The following features are still to be added:

Better ACP language system including skin-like inheritence system.

Better 'report post' management.

Better 'easy editing' mode for CSS

Better email notification of topics/subscriptions

(... and some other additional tweaks)

Installation

Installation is very easy. Simply upload all the files from the directory "upload" to your forum directory. Once the upload is complete, CHMOD the following files to 0777

- conf_global.php

- install

- lang

- skin_cache

- skin_images

- uploads

Using your web browser, navigate your way into the install directory (www.domain.com/forum/install/) this will then start the installer.

NOTE!! Do not use the same database as your current main board with the same SQL table extension or your current board WILL BE DELETED

Have fun and thanks for taking the time to beta test our new product!

Source: http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?...=0entry846408

I'm sure it's great but I'm not touching this with a 10 foot pole. My site works and until this can be applied as an upgrade I'm not going to screw with it.

And before all the n00bs get in here and go "Is Neowin going to upgrade?" the answer is NO for two reasons:

A. There is currently NO upgrade script

B. It's just too buggy and probably unstable to use in a production enviornment like Neowin

That said, DONT ASK!

Meh.

I Just Rest My Board.

Someone Turned it off line :p

Should've seen that coming :p

Also if anybody wants a download link incase the IPB one does go down, or you cant be arsed going to their forums or their downloads page heres a direct linky :p

Sorry, IPS doesn't allow you to distribute their files. Read the license - timdorr

I'm sure it's great but I'm not touching this with a 10 foot pole. My site works and until this can be applied as an upgrade I'm not going to screw with it.

Yeh, same, Im just making a test one to play around with

just wondering would it possible to port the skin to v1.3 Final ?

It's up in the air at this point, but it's sort of looking doubtful at this point.

Also, Neowin won't be upgrading until the Final version, I believe.