Apple introduces Airport Express and AirTunes

Apple today introduced AirPort Express, "the world's first 802.11g mobile base station that can be plugged directly into the wall for wireless Internet connections and USB printing, or thrown into a laptop bag to bring wireless freedom to hotel rooms with broadband connections." Airport Express also features analog and digital audio outputs that can be connected to a stereo and new AirTunes music networking software that wirelessly streams music to any room in the house. AirPort Express features a single piece ultra-compact design weighing 6.7 ounces, and will be available to Mac and PC users in July for US$129. AirTunes requires the next version of iTunes (iTunes 4.6), which is expected to be available later this week as a free download.

Source: http://www.macminute.com/2004/06/07/airportexpress

Apple Site: http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

Looks cool!

I'd actually be interested in one for the extension capabilities IF it works with my existing wireless router. I'll have to read up and see if that's possible...

sweet! I was looking at a Linksys 802.11G w/ Speed Boost setup for my house, but this looks so much cooler . . . might have to take a trip to the apple store in the city to get one, and maybe a mac :p ha ha

Hmmm, requires iTunes 4.6 or higher ;) :woot:

Should be out on the 15th when they release the Euro iTunes Music Store :)

The Airport Extreme base and the Airport Express both work with WINDOWS :woot: :woot: :whistle:

Oh btw the Apple bluetooth keyboard and mouse also work with windows :D

The extension capabilites are only good if you have an Airport Base Station, so that's no good.

But USB printers work with Windows or Mac :)

lol, oops im all my excitement i forgot how to type :p

so whats the difference between this and airport extreme?

This is basically a mini-Airport Extreme base station, with an output for iTunes music (to hook up to your stereo system).

This is basically a mini-Airport Extreme base station, with an output for iTunes music (to hook up to your stereo system).

I'm still a little confused..

u still need a basestation for for Inet connectivity still, right? and you don't need it to connect to this new device, just a wireless g card? :huh:

Woah, that was slightly unexpected!

This is gonna be such a good 'Apple Month' we've got AirTunes/Airport Express, PowerMac G5's tomorrow, iTunes Europe on the 15th & then WWDC (with Tiger and hopefully iMac G5's) at the end of the month!!!

You should be able to use it to bridge any 802.11g or 802.11b access point...

And the fact that iTunes 4.6 isn't launched points to it features that may be pending an announcement - like iTMS Europe (I hope!) :ninja: