WMP 10 will include a mp3 encoder!

Windows Media Player 10 will include a high-bitrate encoder.

The encoder can encode at bitrates from 128Kbps to 320Kbps.

Previously, Microsoft was only allowed to carry a MP3 decoder by Fraunhofer (the makers of mp3).

post-8-1094061845.jpg

You can already do it in v9 with a registry tweak. Link

Right! You have install a third-party encoder or install Microsoft Plus! Pack for WMP9.

This is the first time Microsoft has included a mp3 encoder with WMP without requiring a seperate installation.

well.. not new.. i've already tried it 2 month ago approximately (Beta version) but i still don't like WMP.. :no: really slow starting.. i prefer Foobar 2000 (www.foobar2000.org) and if u want to rip cds use FreeRipIt.. simple and good.. :yes:

now they can, ya know, catch up with the rest of the world that has pretty much gotten over mp3 and moved on.

Speak for yourself... MP3 is still the only audio format I use.

Why? It sounds fine and it works on any device/media player.

I still like WMA simply because 96Kbps WMA is comparible to 160Kbps or even a 192Kbps MP3.

But I'm SO glad they decided to put in MP3 ripping. Sometimes I need it in MP3 format, and don't like the hassle having to get another program ;)

I still like WMA simply because 96Kbps WMA is comparible to 160Kbps or even a 192Kbps MP3.

But I'm SO glad they decided to put in MP3 ripping. Sometimes I need it in MP3 format, and don't like the hassle having to get another program ;)

ahahahhahahahahhaha

If it is to your ears, then super for you. I'd be willing to bet you won't find many others who would agree with you though.