Apple delayed by Nvidia

APPLE ANNOUNCED its new range of LCD displays over a month ago now, and have begun shipping the 20-inch and 23-inch displays in volume. There are a fair few at the Apple store here in sunny SanFran, and also down the road at CompUSA. Beautiful they are too.

Those friendly CompUSA fellas spun us an interesting yarn, however, about the complete lack of 30-inch displays. If you're an Apple follower, you'll know that the 30-inch is the flagship display to accompany its G5 range of machines. Since it's running at such a huge resolution, 2560x1600, the display requires a dedicated graphics card - the GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL card, with dual DVI outputs to connect to the same screen.

Unfortunately, it seems, Nvidia just can't produce these. Our sources told us that whilst Apple is raring to go, Nvidia hasn't got the cards working yet. With 6800 Ultras in short supply on the PC, and the marketing machine telling everyone to buy 6800GTs, this special edition 6800 Ultra must be a niche of a niche of a niche - and possibly even less viable to produce. The board, which you can see at the Apple website, looks monstrously huge - we are talking Voodoo 5 6000 size here. It ain't cheap, and it don't appear to be easy.

Apple is well known for flirting with both graphics cards giants - its laptop range uses both ATI and Nvidia chips. If Nvidia can't deliver its end of the deal soon, it's unlikely it will get another stab at leading Apple technology for a while. Is Nvidia over-stretching itself, or is Apple just awkward to the core?

http://theinquirer.net/?article=18300

That was so uncalled for.

agreed. but when you think about it, his post is quite ironic...

saying ati doesn't have the tech to do it, but neither does nvidia apparently :laugh:

It's not Nvidia's fault, all the pressure from Apple - Apple should of waited for a working model before releasing it. Patience is a virtue.

No doubt Nvidia will send over cards as soon as they're ready, why have a faulty card by rushing it when they can take their time and get it right.

How is it that the 30 inch display requires so much juice and 2 dvi ports. I was in compusa the other day and they had a Media Center comp with a 50 inch plasma display which u could run either 1 dvi or 1 vga off of it. It was 3.06 ghz and had 1gb of ram

How is it that the 30 inch display requires so much juice and 2 dvi ports. I was in compusa the other day and they had a Media Center comp with a 50 inch plasma display which u could run either 1 dvi or 1 vga off of it. It was 3.06 ghz and had 1gb of ram

this time, size doesn't matter. it's how you use it :laugh:

the apple display runs at 2560x1600 pixels. the 50" plasma at compusa was running in a much lower res, though i can't give you an exact number, it certainly wasn't as high as apple's. some of the largest monitors today only run at 1920x1200, so apple just "raised the bar" for regular displays, if you will.

lol

why just the second line ? I've got 2 Nvidia threads & 2 ATi threads in my sig, isnt it balanced ? :p

my bad, i should have been more specific. i meant djmuk's sig, how it says "threads to avoid: nvidia vs. ati" or whatever.

< does the same.

then reads the second line of your sig :whistle:

No wonder you don't like people bashing on ATI..

You should take a look at the second line of your sig first :rolleyes:

Edited by Dogan

Okay okay, I admit (via Avatar) that I'm an Nvidia fanboy. We're all fanboys/girls in one way or another.

True ATi vs Nvidia is my sig...however, this isn't an ATi vs Nvidia thread (for a change). Just hope Apple & Nvidia sort this out quickly otherwise Apple will get half of the complaints and Nvidia will get the other half...this isn't good for Nvidia agreed, so fingers crossed.

The long card for the Mac reminds me of the Voodoo cards being 12" long. This was just before 3DFX was bought out.

P.S.

Looks like we all have preferences within our signatures :)

Simple, It doesnt. The monitor only uses one connector, and the technology used in each connector is called "dual-link", which is just a really high bandwith DVI.

Calling a technology for a single connector "dual link" is definetly confusing, but im not sure who coined the term

like ATI even has the technology to do it :NOT:

hahhhahahahahhaah....dude ATI does have the technology and don't go all ballistic on us here because your card doesn't work right, or that the fact show that NVidia does a ****ty job producing the cards. FYI All-in-Wonder X800XT is coming out real soon and they have most of the GL series of cards switched to X800 chip. I know a lot of people who have X800XT PE (so do I). I don't really care about NVidia VS ATI talk, I've owned ATI and I love their cards, but don't consider myself a fanboy (too old), but I just get upset with moronic statements like that. How old are you? 10? 12? ATI has been on the market since the days of 386 PCs while NVidia became a company like 7-8 years ago. They need to grow up as a company (their statements bashing ATI in their leaked marketing sheets for training, just proves my point)

Do you have any idea how long ago 30" Cinema Display was announced and showcased on WWDC. They had plenty of time to do their thing and make the card work.

Of course, Apple on the other hand is coming out with all the fancy talk as usual, Dual Link Dual Turbo crap, like it's something so unique.

Edited by Boz

hahhhahahahahhaah....dude ATI does have the technology and don't go all ballistic on us here because your card doesn't work right, or that the fact show that NVidia does a ****ty job producing the cards. FYI All-in-Wonder X800XT is coming out real soon and they have most of the GL series of cards switched to X800 chip. I know a lot of people who have X800XT PE (so do I). I don't really care about NVidia VS ATI talk, I've owned ATI and I love their cards, but don't consider myself a fanboy (too old), but I just get upset with moronic statements like that. How old are you? 10? 12? ATI has been on the market since the days of 386 PCs while NVidia became a company like 7-8 years ago. They need to grow up as a company (their statements bashing ATI in their leaked marketing sheets for training, just proves my point)

That was a little harsh, but you do make a very good point ;)