Firefox 1.0 has major memory leaks

This is NOT an attempt to troll by any means, it is meant as a warning.

I ran a memory profiler on Firefox 1.0 just now, and the results were astonishing. The tool used detects any memory that a program does not free when it is done with that memory. These leaks are leaks found after the program was done.

2 tabs were loaded, and each page reloaded twice. Firefox was only running for about 60-90 seconds.

Just to make sure I was reading it right, I ran the profiler on 4 other applications, 2 other web browsers, an a chat program and an email client. All other programs reported fewer than 10 memory leaks.

GlowCode Leaks -- C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe, Tue Feb 22 07:55:22 2005

Leaks found, 6416 blocks, 242150 bytes

Click here for the full results.

umm ok 24mb is normal for firefox with two tabs and if you didn't close the tabs, how is there a memory leak?

and try that with the latest nightly because two leaks were fixed in past couple of days

Does it happen to everyone or people with certain extensions?

Althought I rarely use FX, I didn't have too many memory problems, although Firefox is still heavy compared to most of other browsers.

Well known, but rarely admitted...

Youll find the FX fanboy analists will deny any such events happening and try and pass them off as a "natural occurence" or something similar...

actually 3 memory leaks were fixed in past couple of days. countless number since 1.0 since there have been over 800 bug fixes since then. Try that test again with todays nightly build onces it's released

That's nothing new about firefox. If you do a search on neowin, I bet you will find other posts about the memory leak. This is just the first version of this browser. Give it some time before you complain about the memory leak.

Further visual proof. If this doesn't bother you, I don't know what to say.

supernova: this is not how much memory is in use. This is how much memory was allocated and never freed. These are memory leaks.

I ran it again, and got even worse results :(

post-4489-1109078540_thumb.jpg

well, if you didnt close the program, and that stayed there, then it's not a leak

it's a leak if the memory isnt freed, so if you close that other tab, the memory usage doesnt go down.

But yeah, there is a slight problem with firefox's memory, you can change a option to make it use a max of 16MB a tab, it's in about:config, called cache something.

That's nothing new about firefox.? If you do a search on neowin, I bet you will find other posts about the memory leak.? This is just the first version of this browser.? Give it some time before you complain about the memory leak.

585515088[/snapback]

What a joke. This is na/b> leak, this is thousands of leaks.

First version of the browser, so thousands of memory leaks are ok? Please spare me the BS. Memory leaks are NEVER okay. There is an acceptable range, but 6,000 is NOT an acceptable range, nor is 14,000.

Making sure memory is properly managed should be a TOP PRIORITY for any software.

well, if you didnt close the program, and that stayed there, then it's not a leak

it's a leak if the memory isnt freed, so if you close that other tab, the memory usage doesnt go down.

But yeah, there is a slight problem with firefox's memory, you can change a option to make it use a max of 16MB a tab, it's in about:config, called cache something.[/quoPLEASE READ WHAT I ALREADY SAID./b>

1. This was the report fafter the application had been closed/i>

2. This is memory thwas not freed when it should have been/i>

3. I only loaded 2 tabs, and refreshed each page twice. This should not cause such harsh memory problems.

most of those apparent leaks are from mostly from the same place....anywho I submited your info so that people that better understand all that mumbojumbo and decipher it.

woah just seen you said this was after you closed the program!? something is wrong with your profile then becuase Firefox does not keep memory after it's closed

24mb is not too bad for firefox sometimes it will go up to 90mb or so - at which point it is usually about to crash.

I do use tonnes of extensions though and 4 or so tabs open.

There are definite memory leak problems though - and it would be nice if they fixed them.

What a joke.  This is not a leak, this is thousands of leaks.

First version of the browser, so thousands of memory leaks are ok?  Please spare me the BS.  Memory leaks are NEVER okay.  There is an acceptable range, but 6,000 is NOT an acceptable range, nor is 14,000.

Making sure memory is properly managed should be a TOP PRIORITY for any software.

But yeah, there is a slight problem with firefox's memory, you can change a option to make it use a max of 16MB a tab, it's in about:config, called cache something.

PLEASE READ WHAT I ALREADY SAID.

1. This was the report for after the application had been closed

2. This is memory that was not freed when it should have been

3. I only loaded 2 tabs, and refreshed each page twice. This should not cause such harsh memory problems.

585515096[/snapback]

Gotta agree with you there.

To me, just isnt good enough either. Saw this in the beta stages and then in final release. I dont see how they couldve released FF how it is.

I totally agree, poor

most of those apparent leaks are from mostly from the same place....anywho I submited your info so that people that better understand all that mumbojumbo and decipher it.

woah just seen you said this was after you closed the program!? something is wrong with your profile then becuase Firefox does not keep memory after it's closed

585515104[/snapback]

You don't understand how the profiler works then. It keeps track of memory allocated and deallocated. When the program closes, it sees which memory was freed and which was not.

24mb is not too bad for firefox sometimes it will go up to 90mb or so - at which point it is usually about to crash.

I do use tonnes of extensions though and 4 or so tabs open.

585515108[/snapback]

This has nothing to do with the memory usage during the application run.

Jeesh this guy again I swear I think this guy is on microsofts payroll. go back read this guys posts and you'll see what i mean. Ok it has memory leaks so what. its still a good browser.

what are the links to the pages you loaded? and also what extensions/themes are you using? and please try again when todays nightly is built

585515124[/snapback]

http://google.picasa.com/

http://www.news.com/

Extensions:

I have about 20 installed. I will run again on a clean install. However, extensions are not responsible for the memory management, FF is. So this is still a problem regardless of whether or not its the extensions.

I will also try a nightly build.

Jeesh this guy again I swear I think this guy is on microsofts payroll. go back read this guys posts and you'll see what i mean. Ok it has memory leaks so what. its still a good browser.
Please stay out of this thread if you're going to troll like this.

Guess what? I don't use IE, I hate it. So there goes your theory.

This is just the first version of this browser.  Give it some time before you complain about the memory leak.

585515088[/snapback]

Firefox has had many preview versions before this final 1.0 release.

It's had enough time to fix it, and apparently it's not.

:sleep:

585515119[/snapback]

:rolleyes:

What are you, a sleepy troll?

I can confirm Firefox 1.0 has memory leaks, I've had problems with it before. I was looking through wallpapers on Deviantart before, and I don't think Firefox properly freed the wallpapers after I closed the tab, so it would easily use over 100mb after a few minutes.

Edit: Downloaded the latest nightly build of Firefox, tested on a fresh profile, the leak is still there :pinch: I'll be submitting the bug now.

Edited by xinok

guy im too old to play silly games and troll. I stated a view in my mind and why I said such is all everytime I turn around you are in a ff forum downgrading and trying to argue why it sucks and doesnt have this or that. Thats all. then I come on here this am and what do I see you again talking about ff. if thats trolling then so be it.

Wow, that's alot of leaks.... Have you tested other browsers too?

How long did you wait until running the test after you closed it? It may be freed later on...

585515150[/snapback]

I tested Opera and IE. Both had under 10 leaks (2 and 9).

I only ran firefox for 60-90 seconds and closed it. Once the process was gone from my list, I looked at the memory leaks. Firefox can not free memory once it is closed.

guy im too old to play silly games and troll. I  stated a view in my mind and why I said such is all everytime I turn  around you are in a ff forum downgrading and trying to argue why it sucks and doesnt have this or that. Thats all. then I come on here this am and what do I see  you again  talking about ff. if thats trolling then so be it.

585515154[/snapback]

Guess what? I use Firefox daily and have recommended it to many people. Try again.