Mozilla 1.8 Dropped

The Mozilla Foundation has published its Mozilla Application Suite transition plan, ending days of speculation about the future of the SeaMonkey project. The announcement confirms that there will be no official Mozilla 1.8 release and offers an apology to all those who believed that there would be. The 1.7.x line will be the last set of Mozilla Application Suite products released and maintained by the Mozilla Foundation and all future suite versions from the Foundation will be minor updates only.

However, the Mozilla Foundation will offer infrastructure support to a community effort to continue development of the Mozilla Application Suite, probably under a different name. The exact details still have to be worked out but will broadly follow the plan outlined by Boris Zbarsky. We expect that more details will be posted on the home page of the nascent SeaMonkey community effort over the next few days. Mozilla Foundation President Mitchell Baker has posted background details on the SeaMonkey community transition plan on her weblog.

Source: http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=6206

I guess that now they will start to integrate Firefox+Thunderbird+Sunbird into a new Application suite... Maybe Mozilla 2.0??

Fantastic news to me that they are doing this anyway, I really dislike the Mozilla Suite, I've always thaught that it was poorly made. Would be better news if my speculation is true.

Firefox and Thunderbird will continue , they're just fasing out development on the Mozilla Browser.

eh... that kinda sucks, but the only good thing was the composer

585599324[/snapback]

well if you use linux, htere is nvu which is an improved composer. im not sure if its available for windows though.

this is bad news however. i dont like where mozilla is going. while i never used mozilla, i still think it should always remain their flagship product.

the focus is going from web designers to end users. that is very bad IMO.

well if you use linux, htere is nvu which is an improved composer. im not sure if its available for windows though.

this is bad news however. i dont like where mozilla is going. while i never used mozilla, i still think it should always remain their flagship product.

the focus is going from web designers to end users. that is very bad IMO.

585599361[/snapback]

Well, as a web designer, I much prefer Firefox. It's not like they're not improving the Gecko rendering engine to keep up with standards. They're just making the front-end more user-friendly.

Well, as a web designer, I much prefer Firefox. It's not like they're not improving the Gecko rendering engine to keep up with standards. They're just making the front-end more user-friendly.

585599402[/snapback]

i dont know, its hard to explain. i just dont like the decision. its like theyre whoring themselves out.

If only they're doing their utmost to churn out a better product, there is no regrets at all.

585599468[/snapback]

Yes, that is what I'm hoping too

Don't forget that the Mozilla Suite is Open Source which means that it will never die because anyone around the world can continue to improve it.

585599471[/snapback]

Actually no. It means it may never die, because anyone can continue to work on it if this person wants, but if noone wants to continue the work on it, it will die.

I just think this is a smart move for the Mozilla Foundation, after all, Firefox is their main product now, they already said before that their attention would go more to Firefox, and this is only they being more clear with their intentions. Work on Gecko will never stop, but it will be more focused on Firefox. Just think about the trouble they had to merge the newest Gecko code base to Firefox after the 1.0 release, and that they wouldnt need if the Gecko work was being made directly to Firefox.

And this is the beauty of open-source, the original developer might not give a damn anymore for its program, but it can continue its path with anyone interested on it.

they should modularize it so that firefox runs on top of gecko. that way you can have a large variety of different browers, each meant for a different use, all running on top of one engine. not only will this make a better browser on hte outside, it will also lead to more people working on the engine as well.

oh well, I am still using Mozilla 1.8a4 lol

585599419[/snapback]

moz 1.8 b2 here . its a bad decision , cause mozilla is /was a flagship of the oss , it was a well designed suite and had much more options than their ?quivalents have . something very important is dieing here ....:((

If it wasn't for the quick launch crap that's been in the Mozilla Suite from the very beginning that's what I would use.

I think it's a bit ridiculous to have a browser run at startup just to have acceptable performance, while I know it's a holdover from early netscape versions, it's still ridiculous.

Maybe now, if they're going to create a new suite using Firefox and Thunderbird and they can get rid of the Quick Launch crap I might jump on that bandwagon.

In the suite, there is only one instance of the gecko engine for everything, web browser, wmail, html editor. but with separate Firefox and Thunderbird the gecko engine gets loaded twice ..a bit of a hit on your ram, but all in all this is a small price to pay in the name of progress and I'm looking forward to Firefox 1.1 and 2.0

I do hope they do a new suite thom that would be niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

i really hope they don't bundle firefox, thunderbird and sunbird all together. firefox is so great because it's not a suite. not everybody wants a browser or email client, just one or the other. the three are great as they are...separate. they should never put them together cos that will just put people off.

but then again ..

I know a lot of people that absolutely love the suite

and if you want to use FireFox and Thunderbird separate then you can

but I'd be interested in it from the performace aspect I mentioned about the gecko engine loaded in memory only once for all applications

but really tho ...why would creating a new suite put anyone off?

A new suite built around FireFox Thunderbird and Sunbird would more then likely be better performing anyway

I see this as a good thing. I never really liked the whole suite, but now that Firefox has been released to mass apeal, and they are working on Thunderbird and the calendar integration, they have enough time on their hands to make a very much improved Mozilla "suite". Seems like a worthwhile advantage to take.

I think Firefox is in Danger.

Seems like there's some troubles internally. I dunno why am I having this feeling but that's taht.

Mukund

http://www.itfresh.com -> The ultimate InfoTech Portal.

585600792[/snapback]

according to that article the reason the suite is being dropped is due to the amount of product they would have to support .. as time goes on the "supportable product" is only going to increase..they had to draw the line somewhere.

and besides the suite is based off older versions of Netscape, something needs to be done to modernize the entire Mozilla line. The more you focus on the older stuff the harder it is to make serious improvments on newer product

It's just like Microsoft dropping support for older 9.X OS's

I think doing this is gonna keep Firefox alive for quite some time into the future

just my 0.2