Dual Core Athlon 64 Preview *Benchmark*

The difference between the 3800+ (2.4GHz) and the dual core (2.4GHz) is basically nothing.

585606635[/snapback]

I'm sorry but where are you seeing there is basicly no difference? In their benchmark I see the DC 2.4GHz getting 41.4 seconds and the 3800+ getting 77.8 seconds, thats a huge difference

The difference between the 3800+ (2.4GHz) and the dual core (2.4GHz) is basically nothing.

585606635[/snapback]

well i does show a difference of 36.1 sec.....

That chip there is a Socket 939 Athlon 64 Dual Core. You can't get dual Socket 939 systems so it's impossible for the benchmarks to have been using two dual core CPUs.

This means that the two red bars are the same chip - the Athlon 64 2.4GHz dual core engineering sample, the 41 sec result being with two cores and the 77 sec result with just one of the two cores utilised.

Rudy, neufuse,

take a closer look, the 41,4 was by TWO dual core cpus, the single dual core chip is about the same as the 3800+

585606669[/snapback]

Ecion, Athlon 64 don't have multiprocessor motherboards, so the benches are probably misnamed being that the single cpu is with one core turned on and the dual cpu is two cores running.

Rudy, neufuse,

take a closer look, the 41,4 was by TWO dual core cpus, the single dual core chip is about the same as the 3800+

585606669[/snapback]

for some reason i saw logical when i read that in my head... yeah then 2 physical processors would definatly make a huge difference

That chip there is a Socket 939 Athlon 64 Dual Core.  You can't get dual Socket 939 systems so it's impossible for the benchmarks to have been using two dual core CPUs.

This means that the two red bars are the same chip - the Athlon 64 2.4GHz dual core engineering sample, the 41 sec result being with two cores and the 77 sec result with just one of the two cores utilised.

585606691[/snapback]

if they have test engineering chips whos to say they dont have test motherboards also?

585606635[/snapback]

They are almost same because of same clock speeds. When both cores are in action, we see quite a difference. ;)

if they have test engineering chips whos to say they dont have test motherboards also?

585606705[/snapback]

Because Athlon64 Dual Core processors will run on any of the current S939 boards, it was officially established some time back.

btw, this looks promising for AMD as multi-tasking has been a home ground of Intel.

Rudy, neufuse,

585606669[/snapback]

Edited by Dazzla

The confusion is arising from the fact that they also list the Dual Core AMD as a "1 Physical CPU". I'd like to presume that they've just somehow disabled one of the cores to show the difference the second core makes to performance.

The confusion is arising from the fact that they also list the Dual Core AMD as a "1 Physical CPU". I'd like to presume that they've just somehow disabled one of the cores to show the difference the second core makes to performance.

585606765[/snapback]

Yeah that's what I'd assume too.

585606705[/snapback]

They won't have multiprocessor capable Socket 939 boards other than dual core. You'll only ever get one CPU socket on a Socket 939 board because multiprocessing is Opteron's territory (other than dual core, of course). If you could buy, say, a dual Socket 939 board and slap two Athlon 64s or two dual core Athlon 64s in, what would be the point of the Opteron 2xx series? They wouldn't do it for that reason :)

Obviously when they say "2 physical cpu" they mean two cores, as there are actually 2 cpu's on the chip itself. There would be no point to this article if that wasn't the case.

The exciting thing about this article is that AMD has dual core chips working at 2.4ghz, which is quite a bit more than I had expected.

Thank you, the Dual Core chip appears on there twice. In a single CPU setup and a Dual CPU setup. The Single CPU Dual Core 2.4GHz AMD offers barely any real world improvement in that cinebench benchmark compared to the 2.4GHz 3800+.

The only thing that would make sense is in one the second core isn't being used and in the other it is and their terminology isn't consistent with the rest of the labelling. If that's the case then it's impressive as hell. Either way there's a definite need for clarification. It'll mean one of 2 things:

"AMD Dual Core 2.4GHz 2 Phyical CPU" = Both cores enabled, single DC CPU setup = impressive as hell.

or

"AMD Dual Core 2.4GHz 2 Phyical CPU" = 2 seperate DC CPUs = not even news worthy.

585606741[/snapback]

no, the dual core shows 2 phisycal cpu because there's 2 of them in one chip so 1 chip will give you 2 physical cpus and a dual board for this chip (if they exist) would give you 4 physical chips

As we've discussed above. There's a "1 Physical CPU" entry as well for the Dual Core. I can only presume that Cinebench can be configured to utilise only 1 CPU; to highlight the performance difference Dual Core makes.