New Attempts to fix the BCS

Two interesting articles I found today. One on the new idea to open up the automatic bids to ALL conferences: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2048224&num=1

Another on replacing the AP poll: http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/8422248

I'm sick and tired of this thing. It was supposed to eradicate co-national champions and all it has done is further muddle the whole thing. It's time to look at a playoff system. Top 8-10 teams in the country. You can do it in about one month. I'm sick of the AD's and presidents arguing about how it would interfere with academics. NCAA basketball manages to do it just fine. Bowl season right now takes place mostly duirng winter break anyway. The real reason they don't want to leave this God-awful system is the "lucrative bowl bids." It's absolute horse----.

Edited by bigbluepride35

They are kids man, football can't go for most of the academic year, I am by no means a fan of co national champs but sometimes you will just have to have that

They are kids man, football can't go for most of the academic year, I am by no means a fan of co national champs but sometimes you will just have to have that

585840750[/snapback]

Yes, they are kids, but they deserve to be crowned as nationa champs, not co-champs. It just has a different meaning when you aren't the champ but a co-champ.

585840750[/snapback]

This plan adds MAYBE another 2-3 weeks. And the basketball teams figure it out. If you eliminate the BCS you can have the playoffs start during what would be bowl season and I think it can be done in 4 weeks or less. Bowl season right now lasts 2 so I don't see how it would hurt that much.

i would rather be a co-champ than go through a long playoff and lose in the championship

besides, there is just too much money involved in all of the college bowl games, too much tradition

thats an extra month of college these student athletes are missing out on, sorry no, thats not what ncaa is about (at least it should be)

i would rather be a co-champ than go through a long playoff and lose in the championship
Tell that to the Auburn players. I bet they'd disagree with you. Or the Trojans two years ago.
thats an extra month of college these student athletes are missing out on, sorry no, thats not what ncaa is about (at least it should be)
Not if the majority of it is carried out through winter break. And like I said look at college b-ball. It's a proven system that works. They wouldn't STAY out. Just like during the season they can return during the week and focus on school. I'm not saying they should sacrifice school work for games because I agree the sports should be secondary but let's be realistic. How many of these kids care about academics right now. That's a much deeper problem that has to be tackled but adding an extra two weekends of games? I don't think that would cause irreparable damage to their academics.

And the money issue is the problem. That's the True reason why these ADs and presidents don't want to fix it. Trust me if they cared so much about academics they'd be graduating their players at higer rates NOW. And the tradition is virtually gone. I mean the Rose Bowl last year wasn't even a Big Ten Vs. Pac-10 showdown.

That's how I see it anyway. Granted, you still may not agree and that's your right but I think it's logisitcally doable.

Instead of waiting until the end of December, you start a 16-team playoff the week after the final conference championship game. The big six conferences have their auto seeds for champions. The champions of smallers leagues would be granted bids based on winning percentage and rankings. Something similiar to what every single other division of college football uses and I dont see them playing until January.

And I dont hear anyone crying about Georgia Southern players missing out because of the playoff. Because they dont, its over by the time bowl season starts, so no school is missed.

Plain and simple, until the presidents and conference's can find a way to make as much money with a playoff as with the bowl games, we are stuck.

winter break? are you talking about the week college is off for thanksgiving?

again, these are students, and starting in 2006, ncaa div 1 must have 50% graduation of student athletes, a good move, pretty hard to do if you are playing football every week for half the year

winter break? are you talking about the week college is off for thanksgiving?

585842901[/snapback]

Um no, I mean the time between fall and spring semesters. Bowl season is around Christmas time, the same time as winter break. For most schools it's at least 3 weeks. They have nearly a month off of no games between their last game of the season and the current bowl season. Anyway, like I said I think it's possible to do without hurting academics anymore than they are being ignored now. Again, I'm not condoning it but the excuse that it's done this way because of students' academics and not money right now is a farce. If you really care about academics then truly show it. Enforce more stringent requirements and standards for playing, now. Again like I said, that's just my view of it and if you disagree that's fine. But it IS tangible without causing further damage to academics. Of course, even those current academic standards suck and if that's your contention I agree. But I'm jsut tired of hearing that this 4 week playoff isn't doable because it would harm academics, they don't CARE about that nearly as much as the royalties from the bowls.

oh ok, so you want these college students to be playing football all 3 weeks for your entertainment while all the other students get a break...

i love break, a great time to relax after months of writing and exams, not harmless to academics?

Edited by username

Ok, this article http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylc=X3...=yhoo&type=lgns is borrowed from this post [NCAA]Football teams get one more game by BroChaos. This is basically what I was arguing about. Their refusal to use a playoff. It's NOT for the true benfit of the students. Becuase if they cared that much they wouldn't be pushing for this either. It's a BS argument that they put forward for avoiding a playoff. Just give the truth instead of acting like we're idiots.

I've been says how they need to fix this crap, to myself, for a while now. I don't see how you can argue that 2 more weeks of ball would hurt their academics. Right now, the system is nothing but a ratings/naming rights fiesta and does not have the best interest of competition or the players in mind.