MSN Virtual Earth

Looks like Microsoft is making a competitor to Google maps. Launching this summer

The service is promised to provide:

Satellite images with 45-degree-angle views of buildings and neighborhoods

Satellite images with street map overlays

Ability to add local data layers, such as showing local businesses or restaurants

http://blogs.msdn.com/cthota/archive/2005/05/23/421114.aspx

Edited by Sietse

Wow, that looks so good! I have a funny feeling about it though, I don't think it will look that good...and it don't think it's going to be free :unsure:

Wow, that looks so good! I have a funny feeling about it though, I don't think it will look that good...and it don't think it's going to be free :unsure:

585961549[/snapback]

It will look that good... but only in popular urban areas. These systems are not 'satellite' images but rather taken from a survey helicopter. It takes a long while to photograph the whole USA + beyond!

Of course it will be free... but some features may only be accessible via a premium subscription (like downloading content to your PC, a 3D viewer, etc...) It has to be free to compete with Google Maps.

Of course it will be free... but some features may only be accessible via a premium subscription (like downloading content to your PC, a 3D viewer, etc...)  It has to be free to compete with Google Maps.

585961573[/snapback]

Yeah, you're right when you put it that way. It looks really cool, but it will take years to photograph USA, and Canada for example. :huh:

Yikes! :o

Hmm, but I'd like to see the same isometric view from another country than USA.

Because these services usually don't have data for the Earth, and then the service wouldn't be much of use for me either.

But since they have the guts to call it Virtual Earth, hm...

I have never seen that resolution on international satellites though on even pay services like Keyhole, and neither do NASA's World Wind have it.

Seems like NASA WorldWind

No, it has neither the same features, or the same resolution.

The only thing they have in common is that they have some sort of map. :p

Edited by Jugalator

Holy Batman ! Looks incredible.

Awesome find. (Y)

585961747[/snapback]

:laugh: Yeah, nice find. :yes:

C|net has some more details on this....

---------------

MSN Virtual Earth will provide a "core set of reference points," such as maps, aerial imagery, photos, consumer and business directories, and ratings and reviews, according to the company.

http://news.com.com/MSN+announces+satellit...16973&subj=news

The service will also include a Wiki-like feature that lets visitors and business owners add information about local services to the database

585961549[/snapback]

it will either be one or the other, it will be good, or free

imho