[REVIEW] GoogleTalk

As an internet citizen since 1996, I have acquired many IM accounts. It started with ICQ, then AOL, then MSN, then Yahoo! and finally to Skype. All I need is one more IM client, but as a technophile, how could I not welcome one more into my stable. I?ve had each client installed at one time or another with each new version coming out, each getting reinstalled just to check out the newest features. So I am jazzed to get this setup to see what it adds to my IM experience.

Full article: http://www.synergymx.com/page.php?Title=GoogleTalk_-_Review/

Edited by velkymx

This Gtalk is mainly developed by google for talking (or rather VOIP like Skype) and it does that job well. :)

The CPU usage is also less and it's light.

I am just surpised they even posted such an incomplete application at all.

586435461[/snapback]

It's beta. nuff said.

It should be a [PREVIEW].

I agree. It does need better features. Maybe start with basics like text formatting and emoticons. :p

586435509[/snapback]

We can Bold and Italic text :D

Also ppl wait for updated versions or let it some out of beta. ;)

We can Bold and Italic text :D

Also ppl wait for updated versions or let it some out of beta.  ;)

586435732[/snapback]

*text* =bold

_text_ = Italic

*text* =bold

_text_ = Italic

586435794[/snapback]

I know but I mean have actual buttons that let you do that instead of the text shortcuts. :p

Hmm... This was just a preview version so wasnt expecting much from it .. But I was surprised to see no Search exntensions to it .. Anyways .. I too reviewed it here as every else blogger did ..:p

Is this a joke? *bold* ?? Maybe it could be $#@#@$#$jkjklj@#@#$@#$$@# = bolded text.

586436058[/snapback]

yeah great comparison there.

i actually think it's much faster to type a * than click a button.

Google hasn't dominated in this area yet, like they did email, maps, and obviously search, so high expectations were let down with the first BETA release of their IM client. The client is good, but it isn't the best, and as I'll explain, it isn't dumb enough. I'm looking behind the client to see what they are doing - and it is good.

They are promoting a non-proprietary, open-source protocol that I've been using for years, and they are trying to introduce a product that doesn't throw in every feature in the world, but has enough to attract competent users. Competent users in every area Google has dealt with so far have been the wind in the forest fire of Google's success. We advocate relevant searches to our friends, we invite our friends to Gmail so they can get more storage, and avoid intrusive ads, and we demonstrate the clarity and precision of Google Maps - you get the idea. Google made a miscalculation though. In the IM world, the dumb decide.

The "dumb" are the countless people who use AIM because their dumb friends do. They know nothing about the IM client or protocol and ignore the popups and OS infiltration they endure. They do this, because their mob of dumb friends told them to. It is a network of ignorance, and the good news to MSN and AIM is, their userbases don't care enough to switch. Try telling one of these people they should support open-source initiatives by subscribing to a Jabber server. Even if you threw in a gold watch, they'd still simply say "But my friends are on AIM".

Google needs to reach to the more important demographic - they need to embrace the dumb. Cross-protocol IM clients are the answer. Trillian charges and as much as I wanted it to be great, Miranda blows. Google could be victorious, with their earned respect and standard of excellence, and that would be good.

I tried GAIM, and I use Adium (on my newish Mac). I chose not to mention them all, but Gaim has many limitations that burn me. The great hope is that Gtalk will be fully-featured. Also, Gaim doesn't promote Jabber or have a Jabber server. Gaim isn't a bad choice, but hopefully Google will make the best, and be able to attract the dumb.