[REVIEW] GoogleTalk

In my opinion, GoogleTalk feels rushed out.

I couldn't agree more, velkymx! You gave it a fair review unlike some of the other "reviews" I've read. Some praise the app and call it "simplistic" and "innovative" just because it's a Google app when we all know that it's really lacking on features and options. It's just unfinished.

I just don't get it. AIM works - I don't actually know anyone who uses something else. I've tried several times to get people to switch to a secure + authenticated network, no go.

Anyway, there are many clients. From a user perspective - even as a techie "power user", I can't see what anyone is offering over AIM, especially when used via Trillian or client of choice...

And it's about userbase. You have to offer something percievablly better to get people to switch, and it isn't voice chat. AIM switched people from ICQ (IMHO) because you could use text based SNs rather than those long #s. Plus it loaded faster IIRC.

But to beat AIM? You need something I can't imagine. Google Talk isn't it. The screenshots and reviews won't even get me to download it. Heck, if anyone I meet ever uses it and not AIM, I'll add it to Trillian via Jabber.

Personally, right now, if it doesn't have a Trillian Pro 3.1 plugin, I'm not so interested. I really like Trillian, and ... don't want to switch really.

Personally if I HAD to pick just one IM network to use I would go with Yahoo! They really thought about, they have all of the standards, plus have you tired the white board for collaberation.... very cool

i like this because its simple and it works... its a chat program without all the ads (aim), and doesnt include a bunch of needless bull**** (unlike msn). i just wish gmail was a little more widespread so this could be more used.

I think the only text formatting that should ever be considered is underline, italics, and bold. Smilies, too, are pretty ****ing stupid. Anything else breaks up conversation and makes things less consistent.

I applaud Google's minimalist approach to messaging.

we needed an obscure review to tell us this? google talk was created and released for mainly one purpose: to tell of the plans google has for the market and to end speculation. a year from now we'll be looking at an entirely different application.

The interface could be a little more user firendly, not to mention it displays ads on your desktop. :(

586448675[/snapback]

I think you need to do a spyware check there, buddy

• 2 months later...