Microsoft warns, don't use "Windows XP Service Pac

Microsoft warns, don't use "Windows XP Service Pack 3 Preview"

This is not the first time that Windows fanatics create their own "Service Pack" by collecting all available hotfixes in to one installable pack. I have posted articles about these packs over the years because I find those projects pretty cool, but am aware that it is obviouly not supported by Microsoft and should not be used in "production environments". The latest Windows XP SP3 pack caught some attention in the online press and now Microsoft have posted a statement in their newsgroups:

http://bink.nu/Article5008.bink

exactly. By calling this collection of patches a "Service Pack 3" should set off a red alert to everyone, especially Microsoft. They don't need their average consumers confused on what is released by them and what is released by Joe Blow out there.

Personally, I would never install a Windows XP "Patch" from anywhere else but Microsoft's servers. <<period>>

What about Autopatcher?

586643782[/snapback]

Autopatcher makes it clear that it's a collection of patches for Windows 2000/XP that is CLEARLY unsupported from Microsoft and UNOFFICIAL.

What this person is doing in this case is deceiving people by thinking this is the real deal, when it's not.

Autopatcher makes it clear that it's a collection of patches for Windows 2000/XP that is CLEARLY unsupported from Microsoft and UNOFFICIAL.

What this person is doing in this case is deceiving people by thinking this is the real deal, when it's not.

586643795[/snapback]

1) AutoPatcher does not refer to itself as a service pack

2) The updates with AutoPatcher are ones MS has publicly released via windows update, and for general download on their site - this 'SP3' contains unsupported hotfixes; hotfixes only designed to be used with MS' direction.

Pretty sure Autopatcher is different, in that it at least checks what's installed or what's needed. I think. This fake SP3 just installs everything.

586643795[/snapback]

The real difference is that SP3 (like the link says) has the hotfixes like AP but also had private hotfixes. They are still from microsoft but the private hotfixes do not go through the same testing as the public ones, and hence may mess your machine up.

This guy is not deceiving anyone who can read. It clearly says by the download link that it is UNOFFICIAL. http://www.thehotfix.net/sp3.html

That's why I never EVER install SP, heck the last SP on my PC is SP1, because It was slipstreamed on to a cd by a friend.

586643818[/snapback]

Well that, to be honest, is just dumb.

That's why I never EVER install SP, heck the last SP on my PC is SP1, because It was slipstreamed on to a cd by a friend.

586643818[/snapback]

That makes absolutely no sense. I think you're confused.

The real difference is that SP3 (like the link says) has the hotfixes like AP but also had private hotfixes. They are still from microsoft but the private hotfixes do not go through the same testing as the public ones, and hence may mess your machine up.

586643826[/snapback]

exactly

1) AutoPatcher does not refer to itself as a service pack

2) The updates with AutoPatcher are ones MS has publicly released via windows update, and for general download on their site - this 'SP3' contains unsupported hotfixes; hotfixes only designed to be used with MS' direction.

586643815[/snapback]

I never said AP was a 'service pack.' But you're right on your second point.

BTW, it looks like the amount of server timeouts are increasing. Four duplicate posts :huh:

586643818[/snapback]

That's just poor PC maintanence, simple as that. SP2 is integral in maintaining the smoothest, safest XP environment as possible. This article simply asks people not to install an unofficial service pack, not avoid the one's MS would prefer you install ASAP.

I only install Offical Updates from Microsoft Windows Update, since they are developers and they know how to experience with these sort of things. Seems abit silly if people are installing updates which hasnt been put together in a service pack ready and tested In Testing Labs before the Public.

The word "Preview" is quite confusing, makes it look like official release.

586644294[/snapback]

The author needs to be more responsible, for sure.

the title to the thread should be Microsoft warns, don't use Windows XP SP3 (fake), it would probably fit too ;)

586644320[/snapback]

I mean the author of the package, not the thread.

when i saw sp3 from that site i wasnt at all confused what was going on. most people who arent into computers as most of us on here probably dont even know what a service pack is. i use autopatcher tho since as stated are public hotfixes. and saves some time from ms' winupdate when i do a fresh install.

I mean the author of the package, not the thread.

586644329[/snapback]

i wasn't referring to your post. i was speaking about the thread. hence the reason why i didn't quote your words :p

Here's our official response for now....

The Hotfix does agree with Microsoft that the "Windows XP Service Pack 3" is indeed just a collection of hotfixes and not any official SP3. We have recently updated our language on a number of pages warning users that the fixes we provide are an unofficial pack and that only expert Windows users should install them at their own will.

The being said, we disagree with Microsoft in terms of what SP3 is. Our pack is indeed a preview to what the official service pack will be, as these hotfixes will be in Service Pack 3 as proven by Microsoft's own knowledge base. Searching the keywords "kbwinxppresp3fix" and "kbwinxpsp3fix" at http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1 will provide you an exact list of what we give out, nothing more, nothing less. Each of these hotfixes can be obtained for free from Microsoft by calling their support lines.

Will these hotfixes make your machine less stable? Yes, there is that possibility. Is that at the fault of The Hotfix? No. Regardless of which site these may have come from, they were created by Microsoft.

If you are a normal user, avoid the package. But if you're a Windows enthusiast, like the type of people who are website caters to, then give it a shot at your own will. Who knows, maybe it will actually fix a bug in Windows XP that should have never been there in the first place for you.

Ethan C. Allen

The Hotfix Admin

A "preview" of what Service Pack 3 will be?

OOOOOOOOOH...how exciting.

How about calling it what it is...it's a hotfix rollup. That's it. Microsoft probably wouldn't have cared or issued an official statement if they didn't believe that the intention was to decieve. And the fact that people had to go back and "update the language" on a number of pages just reeks of damage control.

A "preview" of what Service Pack 3 will be?

OOOOOOOOOH...how exciting.

How about calling it what it is...it's a hotfix rollup.  That's it.  Microsoft probably wouldn't have cared or issued an official statement if they didn't believe that the intention was to decieve.  And the fact that people had to go back and "update the language" on a number of pages just reeks of damage control.

586645389[/snapback]

Microsoft never actually made an official PR statement. The statement made was by a Microsoft Support agent in a user support group for people who need help with computer topics (meaning not computer experts). In fact, The Hotfix has not been officially contacted by Microsoft about any of this and has heard and read the post from third parties.

Regardless what some people think, there are people out there who are very happy that we're providing them these fixes, and there are people who are excited. We've seen our traffic increase by 10,000 hits per day and we're going to keep moving forward from here.

And by the way, a service pack is just that... a hotfix rollup.