Apple Wireless Earbuds?

We're not really quite sure what this means, but it could be a clue as to what Jobs and Co. have up their sleeves for MacWorld Expo in two weeks.

A TUAW reader visited the Apple Store in Japan recently and found the employees all wearing maroon T-shirts with the slogan, "Luck is in the Air". On the computers in the store was a screensaver displaying the same theme with a picture of an iPod as the middle of a flower and earbuds floating away from the center, as a flower releases pollen.

There are six more screens, some with Japanse on them that I am unable to read (if any Japanese-reading readers would like to translate for us; send me an email and I'll share the screensaver images with you).

So, what does this mean? It might be an early indicator of an Apple-created iPod-compatible wireless earbud system, or it might mean Apple has figured out a way to include Bluetooth or wireless sharing of music between iPods. It's something "different" that Apple might introduce to keep the iPod and iTunes ahead of their competitors.

Of course, it might also just be an advertising campaign unique to Japan.

Update: Reader Steve Forrest has translated the text for us and it seems perhaps that this is just an advertising campaign for Apple Japan. No idea why the images are what they are, or what they mean. The Japanese text on the other images tranlates to:

1. Luck is in the air

2. Enjoy the Apple Store your way

3. Advice just right for you

Enjoy your Mac even more

The best place to enjoy music

4. In the New Year free workshops for kids

Accessories to make your iPod rejoice

However, wireless functionality in our iPods is still a pretty interesting idea and possibly something we may see soon, particularly with earbuds.

Interesting ....

Source - http://www.tuaw.com/2005/12/27/apple-wireless-earbuds/

Radish?

post-4583-1135705139.gif

wireless headphones automatically means a degrade in sound quality, but if you are able to share music via bluetooth then that would be really cool.

They better NOT integrate bluetooth into iPod's... I got mine a week ago, I dont want to sell it AGAIN and buy a new one! <_< But on the other hand, wireless ear phones would be cool as long as they dont cost 100 bucks... :p

Why do those earphones have extensions like the cord? O_O

edit: nvm, I get it now.. guess the earphones are not connected anymore and they are flying away.. ok.. :p

Edited by Λяκ

Bluetooth isn't fast enough to share music or sync it up with say your computer. Not to mention the power requirements to do that are probably well past what an iPod could provide.

However, listening to 1 song at a time with wireless headphones? I imagine it could do that.

This could go in many directions. One would be youd have sexy ear buds due to apple stylizing. Second would be worse battery life ontop of crappy battery life that already exist. Third and for most how big the unit would be, mainly due to the fact the current 5th gen ipod is pushing the limits in size, only option they would have is to make it least .05 or .10mm thicker than it to at least .53mm because any wireless addition requires shielding, and its really a big hassle.. I'm kinda interested in how apple is going to manage this.

Maybe it is a separate product, not a new iPod. Something that plugs into the dock connector port to transmit the signal to the earphones. Can't imagine it would be too hard and knowing apple they would make it so that its pretty seamless and simple...

http://thinksecret.com/news/retailjapan2006.html

December 27, 2005 - Apple's stores in Japan are advertising that "luck is in the air" as they prepare to continue a Japanese retail tradition this New Year's by offering "lucky bags" to customers.

Apple first offered lucky bags for New Year's day in 2004 at its Ginza store in Tokyo, according to retail scoop site ifo Apple Store. The success of the event prompted Apple to offer lucky bags at the opening of its flagship stores outside Japan, like the grand opening of the San Francisco and London stores.

The lucky bag offered in San Francisco in February 2004 included an AirPort Extreme base station, Keynote, a .Mac account, a Wireless Keyboard, a Wireless Mouse, a D-Link Bluetooth adapter, iLife '04, and a card entitling the customer to 10-percent off at the Apple store, ifo Apple Store reported. Every sixth bag also included an iPod mini or 40GB iPod. The bag, which contained $674.90 worth of items not including the 10-percent off card, sold for $249.

This New Year's, Apple is advertising its event with an aggressive branding campaign at its six Japanese stores. An observer noted yesterday that all the employees at Apple's Ginza store were wearing maroon t-shirts reading "Luck is in the air" bearing a picture of headphones floating away from an iPod.