Windows Live Messenger Public

Windows Live Messenger has gone public! No more invites, anyone can get it now!

To get Windows Live Messenger, follow the link below, login with your .NET passport, and download! If the link below does not work, goto Windows Live Ideas and click Sign Up under Windows Live Messenger.

View: Get Windows Live Messenger!

Edited by sachleen

It's been public for the better part of a month now...

It was for a bit, like a week and then they shifted and made it private.

Apprently they're saying it was an error.. lol

EDIT\\

I just tried the above with an account that I didn't sign up for WLM8 in the past and it just sends me to ideas.live.com, so I enter my e-mail after "signing up" and no e-mail from Microsoft or auto entry into beta. It seems private still.

About a month or so it'll be final and public I heard :)

Edited by thenay

WLM has been public (but still in beta) for quite some time now. If you read the official WLM Development Blog , you'll see that they've been referencing how to get your hands on the beta (a public signup page) for quite some time. Thanks for the news though.

Nope, it's been public and officially public for quite some time. If you read the official WLM Development Blog , you'll see that they've been referencing how to get your hands on the beta (a public signup page) for quite some time. Thanks for the news though.

as of this moment it's still private beta.

If MS doesnt say it's public, it's not.

as of this moment it's still private beta.

If MS doesnt say it's public, it's not.

They have said it's public. By public I mean still in beta but in an open beta requiring signup. Check this page, which, as I mentioned, is the official WLM Development Blog.

http://spaces.msn.com/messengersays/blog/c...iew&_c=blogpart

Now, just about anyone can use the Windows Live Messenger Beta. No invitation, no waitlist. The page still looks the same, but you’ll get access to the beta immediately. The more the merrier – so spread the word!

WLM has been public (but still in beta) for quite some time now. If you read the official WLM Development Blog , you'll see that they've been referencing how to get your hands on the beta (a public signup page) for quite some time. Thanks for the news though.

Yes there is a link on Leah's blog, i'm not sure if it works still but regardless its not officially public.

Thats just a loophole on how to get in.

Yes there is a link on Leah's blog, i'm not sure if it works still but regardless its not officially public.

Thats just a loophole on how to get in.

They deliberately did that. It's not a loophole. They specifically said that anyone who wanted it can use that invite link to get in; therefore making it public.

They deliberately did that. It's not a loophole. They specifically said that anyone who wanted it can use that invite link to get in; therefore making it public.

But its considered a loophole, public as it may be but not public in means where anyone can download the program from any source, install and sign-in. Thats 100% public. Why is there invites still if its public so you say?

But its considered a loophole, public as it may be but not public in means where anyone can download the program from any source, install and sign-in. Thats 100% public. Why is there invites still if its public so you say?

With what you just said, does it matter if there are invites? If anyone can download, install, and sign in, then it public...

With what you just said, does it matter if there are invites? If anyone can download, install, and sign in, then it public...

I never said you can go to any website and download it, install and sign in.

I said "public as it may be (meaning only thru leah's blog) it's not public in means where anyone can download the program from any source, install and sign-in. Once you can do that it's officially public. And that isn't the case right now.

Mess.be March 22, 2006

Now it's public, now it's not. Now it is. Seriously.

dwergs says:

Confusion over whether the Windows Live Messenger Beta is really public or not! Short answer: YES, IT IS! So stop arguing.

At the start of the week anyone was able to just download the Beta in the language of his or her choice via the links we published. Then, I think it was about half a day later, the freeloading was put to an end and uninvited passports were blocked again (as reported by Messers poodoo*, King Antonius, The_Sickness_14 & Marko). Some people believe it was a temporary server glitch that accidentally let the door open and got fixed as soon as our news spread, but we think Microsoft just added an extra step to their public beta enrollment, to be on the safe side. See, you can just as easily download and use the Windows Live Messenger without being invited, provided that you agree with the Beta's Terms of Agreement first.

Step-by-step:

1. Sign into your Passport with the account you want enabled for the Windows Live Messenger Beta (eg. by logging into Hotmail). TIP: Use Internet Explorer. Firefox won't work.

2. Click here and click "I agree".

3. Click the "Download now" button on the next page or download the Beta in another language.

It's been public for the better part of a month now ;)

I never said you can go to any website and download it, install and sign in.

I said "public as it may be (meaning only thru leah's blog) it's not public in means where anyone can download the program from any source, install and sign-in. Once you can do that it's officially public. And that isn't the case right now.

That's stupid. If anyone can get it, then it's public. Even if they add a few twists and turns, it's still public.

I don't know. I still think it's a bit messy if someone wanted to try out the beta. Shouldn't it be more streamlined, meaning the beta sign up should be clearer and more concise?

PSG22

All you have to do is go to the live.com page and sign-up within a few days you will be accepted and invited by MS. That to me constitutes a public release. MS right now seems to want to keep track of just how many people are using WLM and monitoring how the server responds.

• 4 weeks later...
WLMessenger%20new%20icon.gif That's right folks, the Windows Live Messenger beta is now officially public. According to a press release issued by Microsoft this evening, the latest build is now available for download at ideas.live.com. The statement also details the widespread availability of PC to Phone calling with Windows Live Call, provided by Verizon Wireless. Also, now available for purchase are the Windows Live Messenger cordless phones, produced by Uniden Corp. and Phillips. Chris and myself got a few minutes to see one of those this week in Redmond, but more on that later.

If you have been dying to try out Live Messenger, but somehow haven't been able to sign up yet, everything is out in the open. Go grab it.

Messenger Ideas Page

Official Press Release

souricon.gifLiveSide.net

Beta Testers seem to be getting a freebie as a recent email says to make sure your contact details are up to date.

Yeh, beta testers receive a freebie. :fun:

Hint's that WLM final is soon to be released, possibly? :D

And yeh...if you go to the ides.live.com page and click 'more info' about WLM, then there's a huge download link at the top right...

Which definitely makes it public now.. ;)

Beta Testers seem to be getting a freebie as a recent email says to make sure your contact details are up to date.

:( I'm a beta tester ie. I got invited by Microsoft, not a friend and I haven't got this email

How you know we get something? Did we get emails and I deleted it because of all the spam I get?