Vista Beta 2 - The Improvement Thread

I've started this thread to pull together what everybody thinks should be improved in Vista.

Hopefully it should unearth some good improvements you never thought of and ones you can submit into your feedback to MS. If good ideas start getting posted and other people use them in their feedback too then MS should listen and hopefully include it in the final versions of Vista.

If current testers start posting and then when the beta goes public the list should grow and grow with good ideas. However this is not a bug thread so these are improvements that bear in mind this is still a beta, so no "My soundcard doesn't work" stuff please...

gizbug i'm sure your ****ed about your drivers but thats not what this thread is about...

I'm talking about peoples ideas like these mentioned in other threads:

Start menu design

Secure Auto Login

Also wheres the quick method of adding keywords to a doument?

Will there be a simple way to attach an icon to a removable storage device?

Could the search bar in the start menu be larger to be in proportion with the All programs button?

Can they fix the way that its hard to tell which window is selected when compared side to side?

Could the streaks in the glass become more animated?

Could it be possible to incorporate Office's spell check feature system-wide?

I would like to see:

- tear off live previews on taskbar (gadget like usage)

- MacOS-like labeling/coloring system for files, folders, drives

- remaining free space on drives gadget

- network usage gadget

- lavalamp gadget (ok, just an idea :))

- xmltv support in Media Center

- all commander's hot key support (F5, F6, F7...) in explorer windows

- sfv check support

- auto-monitoring installer applications and uninstall them with that log (not like system restore which removes downloaded files, modified files all over too - rather something like the old CleanSweep)

Btw, i think that a Vista feature request in Neowin is like a ligthtower on the North Pole: it works, but what for. :rolleyes: Anyhow, i'm not a beta tester, i don't have vista, there is no public beta yet, but it felt great to write out the feature list from myself :D

Windows Media Player

The Start Menu Design

How every application has it's own volume.

Bread Crumb Trail in Explorer

Instead of XP indexing, we have Windows Desktop Search!

Also wheres the quick method of adding keywords to a doument?

Didn't they used to allow one to edit meta data in the preview pane, but removed the functionality because it could have "confused" consumers?

Now, 'tags' are hidden in an 'Edit' link in the preview pane, which brings up a dialog box. You can't mass-tag, and the tags aren't even shown in the preview pane! (even if you stretch it out to fit more.)

I like the way Windows Photo Gallery 'tags' files: click on a picture, add tag in the preview pane.

Didn't they used to allow one to edit meta data in the preview pane, but removed the functionality because it could have "confused" consumers?

yeah thats what i meant. its a shame, i thought it was a perfectly good idea...

Anti alliasing on Flip3D

Faster file copy or move or cut

Better & more drivers,

OpenGL 2.0 support

if this start menu is not going to be removed, then atleast give an option to use Windows XP like startmenu

Where the hell is the Tool->Folder option-> file type option, so that i can indivigually change the file icons

give icons like Windows XP, atleast as an option, i like my all icons as 48X48, but some folder have big icons, some have small

thought of a few more...

The power button on the start menu should shut down not standby.

some way of easily distinguish a frozen app such as dimming it

user be alerted when a frozen app starts responding again

search bar, either start menu or general search, it should be smart enough to realise when an address is typed in instead of searching my drive for google.com

Why doesn?t aero basic look like aero glass but with the transparency effects disabled?

What?s with the random green progress bars? Everything is either blue or black so green is a little odd.

Why is it that explorer windows still freezes when reading a CD that is scratched or browsing on a slow network connection?

gxsaurav, you said

OpenGL 2.0 support

there will be, these are only drivers for BETA! BETA! BETA!

i wish people would realize its for testing purposes only

last i heard, MS was not going to support OpenGL 2.0 in DWM, they said, it cannot be supported, & it will be eumualted on the fly, via directX giving functionality of OpenGL 1.4 only