Up to 50% Price Cuts by AMD

The day after Conroe ships (ie 24th july) AMD are planning to slash their prices considerably:

According to memos recently obtained by DailyTech, AMD will drastically cut prices on its desktop processors after the July 23rd release of Intel’s Core 2 Duo Conroe processors. The memos that DailyTech has secured are between AMD and Japanese system manufacturers and indicate the following price cuts will become effective July 24th, 2006:

* AMD Athlon 64 price cuts will receive price cut up to 30%

* AMD Athlon 64 X2 will receive price cuts up to 50%

* AMD Sempron processors will receive price cuts up to 15%

Source: http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2800

Full pricing info: http://images.dailytech.com/nimage/1779_la...ull_pricing.png

Until news of conroe I was convinced I was going to buy an x2 4200+. Then I heard conroe was releasing their E6600 (which beats an fx-62 in some tests) for less than the price of a x2 4200+. Now it seems AMD's x2 4600+ will be cheaper than the E6600

Haha, being a consumer in the middle of a price war is fantastic!

This is very good news indeed for consumers and AMD. core2duo is expected to amount to only 25% of intels cpu shipment this year. some say apart from the big oems, we might have to wait for september to buy it, a void AMD would love to fill.

ooh, shiny :D

If i earn enough next year I'll definitely be considering a major upgrade/new pc for the early/mid 2007 games, this is all good news for me ^_^

(unless i just end up getting a 360 or a wheeeeeeeeeeeee)

:D that will be an althon 64 x2 for me then.

Ive been thinking about swapping my 3500+ for a x2 at somepoint, glad i waited now....

Too bad other hardware manufacturers dont follow along. It would be nice for a cheaper mother board and graphics card too.

If thats true, praise the lord. That means whenever I get enough $$, I can get the 4600 X2.