Google now a verb.

Source: ENN

The word has made it into the latest edition of the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, as a transitive verb with a lower case "g". The dictionary defines it as: "to use the Google search engine to obtain information (as a person) on the World Wide Web".

Other new technology-related additions to the dictionary include "spyware", "ringtone" and "mouse potato", a term used to describe someone who spends too much time sitting in front of their computer.

The phrase "to google" has slipped into general use over the past few years, with people "googling" things -- and each other -- to learn all they can. Grammar enthusiasts can now rejoice in using the phrase without compromising their standards.

Source: Information Week

(google): (transitive verb) To use the Google search engine to obtain information about (as a person) on the World Wide Web

Merriam-Webster on Thursday stamped its approval on a raft of words that will appear in its next dictionary update, including the technology-related "google," "spyware," and "mouse potato."

The words will show in the 11th edition of the "Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary," scheduled for publication later this year according to the dictionary maker, but are already included in its online dictionary. Google predicted its trademarked name would join Xerox, Kleenex, and Coke in common usage in its 2005 annual report.

Mouse potato is the more interesting part of that bit of news...:)

It's good that Google have made it into the dictionary now though.

not just because I posted it, but I think this article needs to be on the Front Page.

I verb nouns all the time, now one of them is "correct".

...such bad english :p

What's a "mouse potato"?

edit: nevermind googled it

edit2: haha that's ironic..kind of

edit3: it was in the article, oh man i'm an idiot

Edited by gwai lo

I'm pretty sure Yahoo! and MSN would much rather people say "yahoo it" or "msn it". Looks like it's another round for the search engine Google. ;)

They should add "Owned" as a verb.

Owned

v. own, own?ing, owner

To be taken advantage of; to be embarassed; to have had your b0x0rz r0xd.

I verb nouns all the time, now one of them is "correct".

...such bad english :p

What's a "mouse potato"?

edit: nevermind googled it

edit2: haha that's ironic..kind of

edit3: it was in the article, oh man i'm an idiot

lol, that whole series of events was pretty funny

I just google "mouse potato" hahaha, nice!, I like using google as an verb xD

I would like spanish to update new words like english, so bad I have to say all the technical words in english even if Im speaking spanish, words like overclocking, lag, firewall.

english ftw

Could have been bad for Google if the definition had not mentioned their name (ie: "to search on the internet"). Then would have the whole argument that Coke has with their name being used synonymously with "soda pop".

The word has made it into the latest edition of the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, as a transitive verb with a lower case "g". The dictionary defines it as: "to use the Google search engine to obtain information (as a person) on the World Wide Web".
I've heard plenty of people using 'google' as a verb to mean 'to look something up on the internet using a search engine' (ie: not necessarily using the google search engine).