RIAA Sues LimeWire Over Piracy

The company behind the file sharing program LimeWire was sued by the RIAA in federal court Friday, accusing the New York-based Lime Group LLC of facilitating the trade of illegal music files between its users. The labels are seeking damages, including $150,000 per occurrence of an illegally traded file.

RIAA claims that LimeWire's business model allows it to profit from the piracy trade, and its failure to block copyright content is a sign that the company is actively encouraging its users to pirate music. "Defendants not only have known of the infringement, but have promoted and relied upon it to build their business," it said in the complaint.

LimeWire has declined to comment on the situation.

The recording industry's latest move comes just days after it settled with Kazaa for $115 million, and dropped all pending litigation. Filtering technologies will be introduced on the service that will make it impossible to share illicit files. However, it is unclear if users will respond to the new format.

After other P2P sites either closed their doors or went legal, LimeWire continued to profit from staying in its current form, the RIAA alleges. The service has been around since 2000, and has grown into one of the most popular peer-to-peer sharing services.

Limewire has had time to go legal - it was one of several P2P services to receive a letter last September threatening legal action if they did not either shut down, or transfer to a licensed business model. Most, including WinMX and BearShare, decided to exit the business.

"While other services have come productively to the table, LimeWire has sat back and continued to reap profits on the backs of the music community," the RIAA said in a statement.

Source

I heard that the amount of junk files were really bad on there; but RIAA might close them, and then people look for another source, they find one that's a little underused and then it becomes popular; repeat cycle.

good piracy=bad, usa needs to dedidate more resources into combating piracy, we need to go after users of all sizes and shapes to set an example

then we will go after apple cause they refuse to drink orange juice

damn kiddies :no: piracy is evil :no: get a job and pay for it :no:

The labels are seeking damages, including $150,000 per occurrence of an illegally traded file.

so.. lets do some math here

Illegal occurance happens once every second

1 day = 86,400 seconds

86,400 times a day

86,400 x $150,000 = $12,960,000,000

thats a lot of money a day :|

^^ My thoughts exactly. There's no way in HELL the RIAA could get that amount of money from Limewire, as Limewire probably doesn't even have half of that amount. I'm guessing that they will just try to close them down, with some jailtime.

. . . Then of course with Limewire out of the picture, torrent sites are just going to get more and more popular. . .

i like limewire, I've use others such as bearshare and most gave me trouble. Lime wire is easy and doesnt give me any trouble...

anyway why target limewire, if they do that then they should target ALL the file sharing programs and servers.

something isnt right ;)

good piracy=bad, usa needs to dedidate more resources into combating piracy, we need to go after users of all sizes and shapes to set an example

damn kiddies :no: piracy is evil :no: get a job and pay for it :no:

That's excatly what RIAA is trying to do. Many of you don't get it that RIAA is good.

i know it maybe off topic but what happens to all the money that RIAA recieve from the fines

they use the money to pay legal fees.

riaa is horrible, everytime i hear about them i wish they were destroyed. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Well yeah the RIAA does suck. I've used Napster, Kazaa, Limewire...the whole nine...the thing is they all end up getting loaded with spyware and corrupted downloads courtesy of the RIAA. Now 50 of my closest friends use WASTE and BT...and between us you can find most anything.