World

ISABELA, Puerto Rico - The world's oldest person celebrated his 115th birthday Monday, offering advice on healthy living at a party where he was serenaded by a well-known Puerto Rican singer.

Emiliano Mercado del Toro, who was a boy when the United States seized Puerto Rico from Spain in 1898, attributed his long life to a healthy diet and avoiding alcohol.

"I never damaged my body with liquor," said Mercado, who quit a 76-year smoking habit when he was 90. :huh:

Mercado was declared the world's oldest person by the Guinness Book of Records last year.

"I never thought I would last so long," he said.

An ambulance carried him to an outdoor plaza where family, friends and the mayor gathered for the party. His favorite performer, Iris Chacon, crooned a birthday tune set to mariachi music.

"I feel happy," said the wheelchair-bound Mercado, who has difficulty hearing and has been blind for four years. He lives with a niece in the northwestern coastal town of Isabela.

Mercado was recruited into the U.S. army in 1918, during the last months of World War I. He was still in training when the war ended in November of that year.

As a young man, Mercado said he worked for 50 cents a day driving animals loaded with sugar cane to processing centers.

The mayor of Isabela, Charlie Delgado, said a residence for the elderly would be named for Mercado in honor of a man who "ate healthy, had no major vices and who has put this island on the world stage."

source

Impressive, but... Blind, wheelchair bound, and hard of hearing? Who wants to live to that point...

kno what ya mean, when the body breaks down, it BREAKS DOWN.

normally the oldest ppl are women, think the oldest woman was 124 a few years back, they always live in an exotic country like malaysia, japan or something. none of his friends will be alive though, he will outlived everyone on the planet, must be wierd to feel like that.

normally the oldest ppl are women, think the oldest woman was 124 a few years back, they always live in an exotic country like malaysia, japan or something. none of his friends will be alive though, he will outlived everyone on the planet, must be wierd to feel like that.

lol if that crap happens to me. i'd rather die than living. i mean... we will finally eventally get bored of live especially when one can't do much rite? :|

I thought the oldest was 2 japanese twins that lived to 200. I guess they're dead now.

Impressive, but... Blind, wheelchair bound, and hard of hearing? Who wants to live to that point...

if yer knob still works, theres something to live for ;)

I thought the oldest was 2 japanese twins that lived to 200. I guess they're dead now.

lmao, i think someone is winding you up. the world record definately aint more than 130.

lol if that crap happens to me. i'd rather die than living. i mean... we will finally eventally get bored of live especially when one can't do much rite? :|

You can think... and think... and think.

Not kidding.

Who cares if he's in a wheel-chair, blind and can barely hear? The guy's happy right? Some people have been worse off than him and they were younger.

hmm 200 could happen hell for all we know there could be some temple with a guy who has been in a pure state of Nirvana for over 300 years

"I never damaged my body with liquor," said Mercado, who quit a 76-year smoking habit when he was 90."

"in honor of a man who "ate healthy, had no major vices"

hmmm... smokings not a major vice then...

Who cares if he's in a wheel-chair, blind and can barely hear? The guy's happy right? Some people have been worse off than him and they were younger.

People tend to become happier when they grow older