ATI have posted RC1 drivers

i guess we have to wait for the 3rd party opengl application for vista to come out. anyone know of release date for the opengl vista app?

What are you talking about?

And this is absolutely INSANE. Even NVIDIA supports OpenGL!! Wtf. :angry:

Im sure I read somewhere that openGL conflicts with how Vista works so it will never be in.

some bits and pieces I found of google

OpenGL can go through one of three paths in Windows Vista depending on how your computer is configured.

MSOGL - this is an implementation of OpenGL 1.4 that uses Direct3D under the covers to hardware accellerate the application.

Legacy ICD's - These are the ICD's that are available today for use on Windows XP. These will continue to work on Windows Vista, but will disable the DWM when they are loaded in to the process of the application that's using OpenGL. The reason for this is that Legacy ICD's operate directly on the GPU without going through Windows at all, and we have no way of redirecting application's output in a stable, predictable manner.

Windows Vista ICD's - this is a new path for 3rd party ICD's introduced for Windows Vista that will work in a way that is compatible with desktop composition. Essentially allowing direct access to the GPU for hardware accellaration, but then having the final surface that appears to be the front buffer to the application actually be a shared surface that gets composed by the DWM

source

Basically, OpenGL on Vista is indeed 'no problem' once the IHVs get their Vista ICDs into effect and working. I suspect both NV and ATI will make this a high priority.

The important point is the bit in bold, this means that OpenGL and the Aeroglass window manager will work nicely side by side, meaning nice alpha blended windows and that all the scare mongering on the OpenGL website by various users is indeed FUD.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=25215

Like the previous beta 2 drivers, these are also rather terrible.

If I select anymore than 2X AA in world of warcraft, half the screen doesn't get rendered.

The same error occures in HL2 irreguardless of AA/AF settings.

Well at this rate we're not going to have decent drivers by launch, which is a pain. I wish they'd get their act together (ATi, nVidia, Microsoft... whoever is responsible).

I've reverted to the built in ones now.

Its interesting that these play all my games with no problems and aren't that slow either.

Do you play Counter-Strike 1.6? I can only run it under 1280 x 1024 with D3D 16-Bit on a ATI Radeon X300SE. :no:

Do you play Counter-Strike 1.6? I can only run it under 1280 x 1024 with D3D 16-Bit on a ATI Radeon X300SE. :no:

No, Never been keen on CS and when I do play CS I only play the source version.

Actually the built in drivers work very well. I'm able to play any games (except OpenGL) at whatever detail settings I want. These new RC1 drivers are actually slower than the built in ones.

What are you talking about?

And this is absolutely INSANE. Even NVIDIA supports OpenGL!! Wtf. :angry:

there was an article last week about the release of a 3rd party opengl application that will be available for download to give vista full opengl support.