Turn off LCD in Vista?

In XP turnning off LCD screen after x min is an option in power options. ( Monitor Standby Mode )

Now in Vista the option is still there but now working properly. My LCD screen is black but the back light is still on.

Anyone have same experience?

Edit: Confirmed Bug with ATI gfx card

Edited by iwod

Note: i am on a Laptop so i can manually turn off the LCD.

Since i keep my computer on whole night i would like it to turn off the monitor. Normally in XP Power options when i set it to turn off the monitor the actually monitor is actually off. ( No Backlight, just like you switch it off )

But in Vista The backlight is on 24 /7 .

Note: i am on a Laptop so i can manually turn off the LCD.

Since i keep my computer on whole night i would like it to turn off the monitor. Normally in XP Power options when i set it to turn off the monitor the actually monitor is actually off. ( No Backlight, just like you switch it off )

But in Vista The backlight is on 24 /7 .

I have the exact same problem, so you are not alone. What graphics card (intel, nvidia, ati) and driver version are you using? I am using a ATI Radeon 9600XT with ATI's Vista RC0 drivers (ati_LH_RC0_32.exe). ATI does have some new drivers out on their website intended for RC1, but I have yet to install them. I am using Vista pre-RC1 Build 5536. Hopefully, we will be able to see if this is an isolated problem affecting just one card manufacturer or driver version, or determine if it is cross platform bug or a bug on Microsofts side.

So anyone else with ATI graphics card with the same problem?

To test it - Goto power options - > and choose change plan settings - > Chane to Turn off Monitor after 1 min.

See if the monitor really turned off. ( With Back light off )

Im having the same problem with my ATI card. Nor will my laptop will go to sleep (even if I close the cover).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Same probs here, two pc, a laptop with mobility 9600 and a desktop with Xpress X200, with Vista drivers (RC1) or with ATI drivers.

Two pc LCD light shutdown well in XP but not in Vista.

I'll try with another PC and another card and try to say you.

Hi

Same probs here, two pc, a laptop with mobility 9600 and a desktop with Xpress X200, with Vista drivers (RC1) or with ATI drivers.

Two pc LCD light shutdown well in XP but not in Vista.

I'll try with another PC and another card and try to say you.

I am confused. Are you guys talking about LITERALLY turning off the monitor or putting it in "Stand By mode"? Because in Vista RC1 it turns off my monitor just fine and I didn't even set anything? :huh:

I am confused. Are you guys talking about LITERALLY turning off the monitor or putting it in "Stand By mode"? Because in Vista RC1 it turns off my monitor just fine and I didn't even set anything? :huh:

Hi we talk about standby (ex : if you don't touch your pc for 5 min, the screen swith off and when you 'shake' the mouse it wake).

I will try something at my job today, I find a screen saver which put screen in standby mode. I'll say you soon.

I have a Dell 600m with Radeon mobility 9000. I'll have to watch and see if the backlite stays on. Right now I do have the problem where if I close the lid of the laptop the screen does not turn off, however if I set it to hibernate when I close the lid it will do that, so I know it is recognizing that the lid is closed. As of right now I wouldn't blame anything on Microsoft, more that certain drivers are not working correctly or require custom drivers from the laptop manufacture.

ok I've tried on a laptop with i855 graphics, lcd standby completely (light off), but I've to put the PC in sleep and turn it on to come back !!!

So I think that ATI drivers are bugged !

And maybe Vista power management.

I've tried something :

I've installed Standard VGA driver instead of ATI driver (microsoft one or ATI one).

The standby of the screen works correctly with it, when I install ATI drivers again. No standby !

We should all put feedback with ATI Feedback crew for Vista drivers, they may release a new one soon !

Nice to see my thread keeping updated:D

Anyway i will try the XP driver now to see if it works

Edit: Standby is working fine now after i change it to Xp drivers.

Edited by iwod