Symantec updates Norton products

Symantec on Tuesday announced Norton AntiVirus 2007 and Norton Internet Security 2007, updated versions of the company's widely used security software for consumers.

Slated to be available later this month, both products have been updated to provide better protection and system performance, Symantec said in a statement. Norton AntiVirus 2007 protects against viruses, spyware and related risks. Norton Internet Security 2007 is a suite that includes antivirus and anti-spyware protection and adds a firewall, intrusion prevention, and for the first time includes a phishing shield.

Among the technology updates is protection against entire families of malicious software without the need for signature updates, Symantec said. Also, the antivirus technology can now detect malicious software that tries to hide using stealth technology known as rootkits, the company said.

Symantec has also worked to make its software nimble. The new versions are better in memory usage, boot time, scan speed, user interface launch speed, and download speed, the company said. An improved system scan feature now requires less processing power, for example, Symantec said. Performance is often criticized when it comes to Symantec products.

The updates to Symantec's traditional Norton products precede the launch of a next-generation security product called Norton 360, which is due by the end of March. Symantec has pitched Norton 360 as a complete overhaul of its security products and as a formidable rival to Microsoft's Windows Live OneCare, which launched in late May.

McAfee, Symantec's chief rival in the consumer security space, launched revamped products last month.

Norton AntiVirus 2007 is priced at $39.99 and Norton Internet Security 2007 at $69.99. Both products include a year of updates and are slated to be available later this month. Current users will be offered upgrades, Symantec said.

Source

You know what? I haven't run Norton in ages. I am going to take a look at it after school tomorrow and I will report back my findings. I would like to see what has changed since 2004. :)

You know what? I haven't run Norton in ages. I am going to take a look at it after school tomorrow and I will report back my findings. I would like to see what has changed since 2004. :)

Norton is still the same crap as before.

LOL took them a while

Norton AntiVirus 2007 has been released

Sat 9/9/2006 8:38 AM

Hi Anthony,

Norton AntiVirus 2007 has officially shipped! Norton AntiVirus 2007 (14.0) has been released with build 89. Thank you all for your hard work on this project. The high quality of Symantec security products is ensured by your participation in testing. Thank you!

Cheers,

Tony Weiss

Sr. Beta Test Coordinator

Symantec Corporation

We're still forking away at Genesis (Norton 360) though

Always can tell when software is about to be upgraded. I check amazon and 50% off previous versions.

What symantec and norton should do, is, sell subscriptions instead of the software.

I could use the new version and add my 312 days left on the update service.

Something they should think about.

We at Symantec ET have been there long enough to realise that "high quality" does not exist. The GUI they slap on in every Norton product seems to reduce any notion of efficiency down to hell.

The only way Norton is going to get faster is if they recode the entire scanning engine, which won't happen.

As for Genesis, we have truely been given "prerelease" software- not prerelease software as in "it's unstable", prerelease as in "it doesn't have a exit button, but it compiles!" prerelease.

I like the crappy marketing "Your computer security is GOOD" because you've got Internet Security installed. I bet if it was just an AV it would say "Mediocre - buy Internet Security!!!"

Ah yes, it is about that time, isn't it? Always September. And the first september in 5 years i haven't rushed to buy the new Symantec. They lost me after v2006 and OneCare stole my heart :)