NVIDIA "G80" Retail Details Unveiled

DirectX 10 compliant GeForce 8800GTX and 8800GTS headed your way

DailyTech's hands-on with the GeForce 8800 series continues with more information about the GPU and the retail boards. The new NVIDIA graphics architecture will be fully compatible with Microsoft?s upcoming DirectX 10 API with support for shader model 4.0, and represents the company's 8th generation GPU in the GeForce family.

NVIDIA has code-named G80 based products as the GeForce 8800 series. While the 7900 and 7800 series launched with GT and GTX suffixes, G80 will do away with the GT suffix. Instead, NVIDIA has revived the GTS suffix for its second fastest graphics product?a suffix that hasn?t been used since the GeForce 2 days.

NVIDIA?s GeForce 8800GTX will be the flagship product. The core clock will be factory clocked at 575 MHz. All GeForce 8800GTX cards will be equipped with 768MB of GDDR3 memory, to be clocked at 900 MHz. The GeForce 8800GTX will also have a 384-bit memory interface and deliver 86GB/second of memory bandwidth. GeForce 8800GTX graphics cards are equipped with 128 unified shaders clocked at 1350 MHz. The theoretical texture fill-rate is around 38.4 billion pixels per second.

Slotted right below the GeForce 8800GTX is the slightly cut-down GeForce 8800GTS. These graphics cards will have a G80 GPU clocked at a slower 500 MHz. The memory configuration for GeForce 8800GTS cards slightly differ from the GeForce 8800GTX. GeForce 8800GTS cards will be equipped with 640MB of GDDR3 graphics memory clocked at 900 MHz. The memory interface is reduced to 320-bit and overall memory bandwidth is 64GB/second. There will be fewer unified shaders with GeForce 8800GTS graphics cards. 96 unified shaders clocked at 1200 MHz are available on GeForce 8800GTS graphics cards.

Additionally GeForce 8800GTX and 8800GTS products are HDCP compliant with support for dual dual-link DVI, VIVO and HDTV outputs. All cards will have dual-slot coolers too. Expect GeForce 8800GTX and 8800GTS products to launch the second week of November 2006. This will be a hard launch as most manufacturers should have boards ready now.

DailyTech

Does this mean Nvidia will release graphic for laptop too?

Wonder how much this baby will cost :'(

It should be around $600 for high-end performance. The price can almost guess. It's always be the same.

that sucks, the gts is a severely stripped down version of the gtx. normally the gt versions are exactly the same, but with lower clock speeds, now it has less ram, less pipelines and slower speeds.

i will never buy a gtx, but now i prob wont buy a gts, i would normally tho!

that sucks, the gts is a severely stripped down version of the gtx. normally the gt versions are exactly the same, but with lower clock speeds, now it has less ram, less pipelines and slower speeds.

thats not true... the 7900GT has fewer pipes than the GTX. the 7800GT has fewer pipes than the GTX. the 6800nu had fewer pipes than the 6800GT/GTX. i think for the price difference, the 8800GTS will be rather good.

Considering they are starting production of DirectX 10 compliant cards at this time, i would say that when DirectX10 actually comes avaliable it wont be as expensive as initially suggested. Once ATI make a compliant card, it will be the same old story...ATI vs NVIDIA for the lowest price...

Considering they are starting production of DirectX 10 compliant cards at this time, i would say that when DirectX10 actually comes avaliable it wont be as expensive as initially suggested. Once ATI make a compliant card, it will be the same old story...ATI vs NVIDIA for the lowest price...

i agree... i dont see the reason to buy one until DX10/Vista/Crysis are out... by that time prices will drop (remember how fast they dropped when the 7800GTX came out?).

the R600 will be out sometime in Jan to compete and then we'll see which is the better buy.

Imagine a Quad setup of the GTX, 3GB ...

Of course you won't be able to fully utilize it, but it's a nice show-off :laugh:

Oh yeah?, there are shaders that would bring it to a crawl.

Why the unusual amounts of Memory? 768mb. 640mb?

512mb + 256mb = 768mb

512mb + 128mb = 640mb

Gonna get it :woot:

and now we go to Ollie Williams for the Blackie Weatherman Graphics Card forecast: "Gonna get it :woot: "

no, seriously though, these cards will be sweet.

thats not true... the 7900GT has fewer pipes than the GTX. the 7800GT has fewer pipes than the GTX.

You're half right:

7800GT - 20 pipes

7800GTX - 24 pipes

7900GT - 24 pipes

7900GTX - 24 pipes

Anyway, those are some crazy specs. It's a shame it's not using GDDR4 though.

wow. i mean.... WOW

wasn't the R600 rumored to have 64 unified shaders?

if so, then the R80 is gonna kick some serious ass with 128/96 unified shaders.

but what we heard before was that the R80 wouldn't have unified shaders... it'd have part vertex and part pixel (just like current gen). i'd love to know more information about this....

thats not true... the 7900GT has fewer pipes than the GTX. the 7800GT has fewer pipes than the GTX. the 6800nu had fewer pipes than the 6800GT/GTX. i think for the price difference, the 8800GTS will be rather good.

Incorrect.

How much juice do these bad boys need? I get the feeling most current PSU's just won't cut it :wacko: or am I wrong?

Looks amazing, but I've already decided to skip the 8 series.

Yep, same here. I will wait for the Geforce 9 Series or something like that.

Incorrect.

ok geez, i made one mistake... the 7900GT has 24 pipes

How much juice do these bad boys need? I get the feeling most current PSU's just won't cut it :wacko: or am I wrong?

i think it said recommended 600W for a single GTX and 800W for SLI... most of the PSU's people own wont cut it anymore. i might be able to sneak by w/ my 600W, but certainly not w/ SLI. i wonder if those 5.25" GPU PSU's will become more popular.

Yep, same here. I will wait for the Geforce 9 Series or something like that.

the 9 series is pretty far off... you might consider the 8 series refresh (ie: like the 7900 is today)

i agree... i dont see the reason to buy one until DX10/Vista/Crysis are out... by that time prices will drop (remember how fast they dropped when the 7800GTX came out?).

the R600 will be out sometime in Jan to compete and then we'll see which is the better buy.

Not true, just imagine this card in DX9 games, it will probably run Oblivion incredibly fast, runnning any DX9 game up till 2 years from now at 4xAA, 1600x1200 and Vsync at 60FPS or above will be awesome.

These cards will definately be worth buying before DX10 brings out any games.

Not true, just imagine this card in DX9 games, it will probably run Oblivion incredibly fast, runnning any DX9 game up till 2 years from now at 4xAA, 1600x1200 and Vsync at 60FPS or above will be awesome.

These cards will definately be worth buying before DX10 brings out any games.

yes, you are correct. i was just speaking my opinion i guess. my games run fine w/ my 7800GT so i can wait 5-6 months.