Guillotine

http://www.zchromosome.com/

Guillotine is a FREE and lightweight Windows utility that allows you to quickly and naturally access items you commonly (and uncommonly) use like programs, bookmarks, contacts, and web searches. The idea is to find things quickly just by typing a few keys, selecting your item, and going on your merry way. It's much more intuitive than hunting down those items as you normally would. It may take a while to break your old habits, but once you do, you'll see how much more intuitive it is to your normal workflow.

Current Features

While I have many super cool features waiting to be added, the initial feature set is good enough for most common uses:

* Fast access to files in common directories (e.g. Start Menu, Quick Launch, My Documents, etc.).

* Fast access to Outlook contacts and bookmarks in Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Opera.

* Fast access to search sites like Google, Yahoo, Wiki, etc.

* Quickly browse your file system using the arrow keys on your keyboard.

* Configurability of all of the above.

* Plugin architecture allows plugin developers to add any type of functionality they want.

Hey. I'm the author of this little app. I found this forum from the logs on my web server. Can't believe I've never been to this site.

Anyways, Guillotine is really in it's infancy stages right now. I have a *lot* planned for it. I've gotten a lot of inspiration from other apps out there, especailly Quicksilver on the Mac, which seems to have it down pat. That being said, the basic functionality it provodes now is fairly useful if you're not using a utility like this already.

I was hoping to get some real world feedback from users on what they like/dislike, feature requests, and most imporantly, bugs :) Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dario

Heh, everything seems quicksilvery now, which is nice. I was disappointed when I had to go back to Windows and couldn't find a good program launcher after using Quicksilver and getting used to it.

I like it. Really I do. It is sort of like quicksilver. I hope it is going in that direction. I would like to have access to drives via shortcut or icon clicking. I also think it needs more config check "m" to check my documents, etc.

I like it. Really I do. It is sort of like quicksilver. I hope it is going in that direction. I would like to have access to drives via shortcut or icon clicking. I also think it needs more config check "m" to check my documents, etc.

Yah. I have all of that planned. Just need to find the time to add all of them. Having a new girlfriend is helping matters much :)

And yes, it's ugly. I put aesthetics below functionality on the priority list since mostly power users would be using it, but it seems even nerds like pretty GUI's nowadays.

Thanks,

D

I imagine the name refers to the fact that it "executes" things quickly.

It was the first word that popped into my head (for whatever reason) when I was thinking up a name before I even started writing it. Couldn't think of anything else so I just stuck with it (mostly because it "executes" things quickly).

Got any suggestions?

I'm getting a "Required resource unavailable" error message whenever I load it :(

One other person reported that error. Don't know what it is, yet. Doing some digging. Resources on the net haven't let me in any fruitful directions...

I'm getting a "Required resource unavailable" error message whenever I load it :(

I traced the source of this bug to the FileSystem plugin. Please remove it for now until I get it fixed.

Thanks.

I can't use Alt for the hotkey. I'm getting the filesystem plugin error too. Removing it fixes it. You shouldn't try to register the hotkey forcefully, as it won't let you. In my case, Ctrl+Space is used for something else, and if Guillotine tries to register it, it messes up and the text in the program's preferences and menus becomes invisible.

Keep working on it!

I can't use Alt for the hotkey. I'm getting the filesystem plugin error too. Removing it fixes it. You shouldn't try to register the hotkey forcefully, as it won't let you. In my case, Ctrl+Space is used for something else, and if Guillotine tries to register it, it messes up and the text in the program's preferences and menus becomes invisible.

Keep working on it!

Alt key bug is fixed. Not sure if I've fixed the filesystem plugin error, since I can't reproduce it, but I tried. I wasn't forcing the hot key register (I don't think Windows lets you force it). On initial launch, it now tries to register Ctrl-Space. If that is taken, it then tries Alt-Space. If that fails, it just displays the error message. You can change it to whatever you want in the prefs.

I uploaded new build to http://www.zchromosome.com/downloads/Guillotine.zip