4x 8x DVD discs being passed off as 16-18x

According to a DigiTimes reporter quoting "industry sources"; media that are in reality, 8x and 4x DVD+R/-R discs, are now being passed off as 16x and 8x respectively and the problem seems to be on the increase.

As demand for 16x DVD+R/-R discs grows with the increasing use of 16x and 18x DVD burners, some makers have mislabeled their discs with higher speeds in order to grab profits, the sources pointed out, noting that there have been reported cases of counterfeited TDK 8x and 16x DVD+R/-R discs made by small makers in Taiwan.

The article mentions that among Taiwanese manufacturers, only CMC, Ritek, Prodisc, Daxon and Lead Data are capable of producing the 16x discs. The smaller producers are limited to the slower 4 and 8x speeds.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/14095

WOW x 4 :blink: - wonder how many wows we'll get :p

Back on topic: i rma'd my dvd-rw drive because it would only write at 8x on 16x disks... im still waiting for the replacement, but maybe there was no need :(

please don't rename this topic to the "wow" topic

quite a few companies do this, where they produce 4x 8x dvds, and put good media IDs on them (taiyo, mcc) and so on

What DVD's do you guys buy?

Fujifilm for me :)

see, thats one mistake already

fuji, doesn't make their own dvds

most fuji in stores are ritek, few cmc, and very rare Made in Japan Taiyo Yuden

Taiyo Yuden is the best

i really don't care whos name is on the dvd

what matters is who actually made it

that said i only buy

MCC

MKM

Taiyo Yuden

MXL

few prodisc (cheap)

Hey sony ain't that bad well the D21's ya the dye gets a nice run in the middle but if you look at the back end of a sony 50 pack and its says R5, you be getting somne Taiyo's TTY002