AIM Architect Leaves AOL for Google

Justin Uberti, lead developer of AOL Instant Messenger who worked on the product for almost nine years, last week left the company and joined the ranks of Google. Uberti played an integral role in the launch of AIM Triton and the Open AIM initiative.

Google has long been hiring top talent from rivals such as Microsoft and Yahoo, and Uberti's departure from AOL may indicate the search giant wishes to grow its fledgling Google Talk client. As part of Google's $1 billion investment in AOL, the companies already plan to link up their IM networks and Uberti could play a role in making that a reality.

Source

i wonder if there is some kind of clause in his employment with AOL that says he cannot take ideas he created while working with AOL to google. Dumb question....im sure there was

+1

How many AIM users are there? 40 million +?

55+ million I believe.

I read this on his blog last week. Definitely going to be interesting to see where the team heads now. I'm just hoping someone with common sense steps in and not someone who thinks ICQ took the perfect product road.

i wonder if there is some kind of clause in his employment with AOL that says he cannot take ideas he created while working with AOL to google. Dumb question....im sure there was

But with google's 1 billion investment, I am sure it will be overlooked or nullified.

55+ million I believe.

I read this on his blog last week. Definitely going to be interesting to see where the team heads now. I'm just hoping someone with common sense steps in and not someone who thinks ICQ took the perfect product road.

Yeah I read on his blog also. I agree with you, I hope AIM doesn't fall. I hope they don't screw it up. That's all AOL needs. :no: