Siemens Breaks Network Speed Record

German electronics company Siemens said Wednesday that it had set a new network speed record, achieving a speed of 107 gigabits -the equivalent of roughly two DVDs worth of data- per second, two and a half times faster than the previous record.

The test transmission was conducted on a 100-mile stretch of fiber-optic cable in the U.S. It also marks the first time such a test was performed outside of the laboratory. Siemens says the continuing surge in multimedia applications necessitates such high bandwidth needs.

At the core of the faster speeds is an entirely new transmission and reception system. This development allows the processing of data without the need to split the traffic into different channels to prevent bottlenecks.

Siemens' developments are especially promising for those working on increasing the current network ceiling of 10 gigabits to 100 gigabits, although most residential-based deployments have transmission limits of one gigabyte or less.

"Ethernet has long been the data communication standard on corporate and home networks," Siemens said.

Regarding the new technology, the company said that one of its advantages "is that the data is no longer transmitted over switched connections to the end customer, but in packets that can be routed over alternate lines to bypass overloaded or very busy network sections."

The first products taking advantage of the technology will begin appearing in the next few years.

News Source: BetaNews

its wrong

, achieving a speed of 107 gigabits -the equivalent of roughly two DVDs worth of data- per second

in my book dvds store roughly 4gb of data each now my maths is bad but since wen does 4 an 4 add up to 107?

its wrong

in my book dvds store roughly 4gb of data each now my maths is bad but since wen does 4 an 4 add up to 107?

107gbits/10 is 10.7gigabyte + dvd disc std is like 4.7gb

it dont say the /10 in the post y cant they just put 10.7 rather than make u do maths to read a news story

It's correct - it says gigabits and not gigabytes. No offense but don't blame the article because you don't know your bits from bytes :) Just remember, 8 bits to a byte so to be a little more exact, 107 gigabits/sec is 13.38 gigabytes/sec which is actually closer to the size of 3 DVDs.

The speeds are quoted in GigaBITS not GigaBYTES. Take the gigabit speed, devide it by ten, and you have how many gigabytes it's transfering a second. For example, my 8 meg internet connection transfers up to 800k a second, not 8MB like the ISPs lead the consumers to believe. It's always been like this.

The speeds are quoted in GigaBITS not GigaBYTES. Take the gigabit speed, devide it by ten, and you have how many gigabytes it's transfering a second. For example, my 8 meg internet connection transfers up to 800k a second, not 8MB like the ISPs lead the consumers to believe. It's always been like this.

Sorry to be picky but as per my previous post there are 8 bits to a byte, so it's divide by 8, not 10.

Also, an 8 megabit connection is theoretically 1024KB/sec but due to the fact you're in the UK (where ADSL is via ATM networks) an 8128kbps sync equates to a 7.1mbps IP rate and then there's overheads on top ... but I digress, BT's network isn't really relevant :)

it dont say the /10 in the post y cant they just put 10.7 rather than make u do maths to read a news story

They DO state it is 107 megabits, not megabytes. There's 8 bits to a byte and 8 megabits to a megabyte. Following that logic, 107 megabits per second is equivalent to 13.37 megabytes per second. This can either be 2 and a half DVDs (single layer) or almost two DVDs (dual layer). Good?

That speed is equivalent to exactly 3.0555950842553184672290061557224 single layer DVDs if the speed was measured as 1024 (I cant tell from the article).

1 DVD = 4.7 GB = 4.37721610069275 GiB

Assuming Speed is measured in Gib then 107 Gib = 13.375 GiB

13.375/4.37721610069275 = 3.0555950842553184672290061557224