How do you disable media view in windows explorer?

I really hate it when it does that automatically for you. Even if you go into file options and do a "apply to folders" after changing the view to the one you want. I know this has to do with some registry key that keeps track of how many folder view memory it can hold. But I swear, I have set this to like 7000 and still I end up with that blasted annoying media view.

I know in windows xp you can run something like this from the command prompt to disable media view in windows explorer:

regsvr32 /u /s shmedia.dll

regsvr32 /u /s shimgvw.dll

But it does not work with the vista windows explorer! :cry:

Anyone know of a registry tweak or something else that I can do to get rid of this view?

• 4 weeks later...

Since no one seem to know, I've found a solution. I've ditched Vista Windows Explorer completely! I now use A43 (v2.52) which remembers all of my column settings (just apply to one folder and it remembers for every other folders).

It does occasionally locks up and crashes (but what software doesn't?). Best of all, it doesn't write or install anything to the registry. So, when you don't want to use it anymore, just delete the A43's folder! I wished more dev would adopt this approach to software development. The less you clutter up your user's system the better!

Anyway, life's good. I no longer have to put up with the annoying media views in explorer when using A43 (geez, they need to change the name of this wonderful windows explorer replacement).

Another promising one is UltraExplorer (v1.2.7). It too suffers from Vista's not remembering the user specified column width and induces media views. And yes, it crashes too. I'll wait until v2.0 before trying it again. Hopefully, it'll be closer to A43's slickness. As is, it's just a tad bit better than the vanilla vista windows explorer.

To turn off the Details Pane:

1) Click on Start Orb then click Control Panel

2) Click on the Control Panel Home in the left hand pane

3) Click on Appeatance and Personalization

4) Click on Folder Options

5) Click the General tab

6) Click the "Use Windows classic folders" Radio button under the Tasks grouping

7) Click OK

Note: to turn the Pane back on click Show preview and filters for step 6 in the instructions above.

::winXpert::

To turn off the Details Pane:

1) Click on Start Orb then click Control Panel

2) Click on the Control Panel Home in the left hand pane

3) Click on Appeatance and Personalization

4) Click on Folder Options

5) Click the General tab

6) Click the "Use Windows classic folders" Radio button under the Tasks grouping

7) Click OK

Note: to turn the Pane back on click Show preview and filters for step 6 in the instructions above.

Did you even read my original post? When you have music/picture/media file in a folder, windows explorer will switch to the "media" view whether you want to or not. This view has a rating, artist, etc. column. The thing I want to stop is not "details pane" but for windows explorer to never show the "media" view (not preview window or detail window). I hope you get it this time around. :shiftyninja:

I already have the classic folders button selected. That's not the problem. In Windows XP, you have to do what I posted in the original post to stop windows explorer from displaying the "media" view automatically like a stuborn b a s t a r d child. :rolleyes:

Did you even read my original post?

Yes, I misunderstood the question.

When you have music/picture/media file in a folder, windows explorer will switch to the "media" view whether you want to or not. This view has a rating, artist, etc. column.

The shell for Windows Vista has a new feature [iDispatch] that sniffs and remembers the contents of a given folder. In the past this was the good ole desktop.ini file that would scatter the drive. In Vista, the entries have been moved to the registry [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags]

If a folder already has a bag you can either:

A) Delete the registry entry --or

B) Open the folder properties (Right-Click the folder choose properties), select the "Customize" tab and select "All Items" from the drop down in the section labeled "What Kind of Folder do you want?" (Hint: there is an option for apply to all subfolders think / here)

If you want to modify the columns for all folders regardless [strict to all - new mounts, etc.] you must override the default FolderType by editing the registry and adding 1 key and 1 string value.

The key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\Shell]

The String Value: FolderType

The data for the String: NotSpecified

I've attached the registry file for your pleasure.

I hope you get it this time around. :shiftyninja:

:devil: Oh yeah I get it!! Thats why they call me the ..

Force_AllItems_FolderView_Windows_Vista_winXpert.zip

Wow, that actually worked! :) I've added the reg key for "...Shell\Bags\AllFolders\Shell" and it worked. I even changed the column width and vista windows explorer actually remembers this time around. It's not forgetful or disobedient like before.

Say, is it safe to delete the 400 keys under "Shell\Bags" if I have the "Shell\Bags\AllFolders\Shell" set?

Aww-c r a p! I spoke too soon. Now, if I exit/close windows explorer and open it again using "WIN+E", it forgets the window postion and size! How about that one? Do you have a registry key for this one too?

Anyway, thanks a bunch for pointing this key out. I take back my nasty tone!

Aww-c r a p! I spoke too soon. Now, if I exit/close windows explorer and open it again using "WIN+E", it forgets the window postion and size! How about that one? Do you have a registry key for this one too?

Anyway, thanks a bunch for pointing this key out. I take back my nasty tone!

Vista Explorer never remembers size and position with me, right from the very beginning even without any modifications.

This, together with other annoying crap (like not being able to costumize the useless toolbar and the media folders view) have made me drop it totally and switch to A43 (http://www.primitus.us/a43/).

Aero Ultimate -- looks like we're not the only ones, here's another thread with the same issue:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=532849

Well, after deleting the bags registry keys, I've lost my desktop icons. Vista windows explorer did however started to remember the position/size after several reboots/open close. But now it forgets about the detail view and switches back to icon view every now and then. It doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason. It just decides to make a folder icon.

This is by far the most annoying feature of Vista. :angry:

If anyone else having this problem, I would recommend using A43 like Aero Ultimate.

so far, it seems like that registry change does fix the issue.

i set view to 'Details', told it to 'Apply to All Folders', and then i clicked a folder with lots of images -and it was in Detail view!

thanks!

This seems to work...thanks. Question...

Is it possible to set folder view settings for a parent folder and have it propagate to sub folders? I don't just mean the folder template. I would like settings like column width or added columns to be applied to sub folders

Vista (just like XP) remembers window sizes and locations based on the folder you are launching. So if you want to change the size of the window that's opened by Win+E (the "Computer" namespace) you just need to open that folder (ie. press Win+E), resize the window, and then close the window without browsing to any other folders.

• 2 months later...
If a folder already has a bag you can either:

A) Delete the registry entry --or

B) Open the folder properties (Right-Click the folder choose properties), select the "Customize" tab and select "All Items" from the drop down in the section labeled "What Kind of Folder do you want?" (Hint: there is an option for apply to all subfolders think / here)

If you want to modify the columns for all folders regardless [strict to all - new mounts, etc.] you must override the default FolderType by editing the registry and adding 1 key and 1 string value.

The key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\Shell]

The String Value: FolderType

The data for the String: NotSpecified

I've tried both of these and for me it made zero difference. I added that key in but it only had an effect for a few minutes before it was playing up again. As I navigate through a folder structure the View could literally cycle through "every single" View option from Details, to Large Icons, to Small icons. It's absolutely madness and seems to have zero logic.

It also really annoys me there is no preset view for 9x/XP's Large Icons option, the closed one is medium but that's still way to big. Why would anyone want to use Large or Extra Large? They're huge. I do find the redesign makes it very cluttered and messy, when you get down deep into a folder structure it's easy to get lost where you are exactly.

It doesn't help you can no longer display the "Full path in the title bar". Sure the buttons to quickly go up folders is nice but it prevents you working out what folder you in, that and the new button logic lies to you if you're in some "special folder". You have to click at the end to see the "actual folder path". Personally I find this special folder logic very annoying, it hides what the folders can often actually be called (your media folder for example, if you don't modify the desktop.ini).

I had a look at my Registry Bags and there are hundreds. How on earth do I know which number relates to which folder? I just want it to stick on View.

Is this possible?

Edited by bradavon

• 2 weeks later...

Man this so called feature is annoying.

I hope MS take note and fix it in SP1 or at least give us an option to turn it off. The web is full of forums of people complaining about this function. I just want the Classic Large icon size back and it to stay, there's no even a Classic Large icon option any more (other than the desktop) Medium is way to big and Small is way to Small. I want back what used to be in period. I'd settle for manually dragging the bar if Vista didn't go and screw it up every two minutes.

It's such a small issue but man it's so annoying. For the past 12 years I used Windows Explorer quite happily, sure it's basic and up until Vista had no "Skip all" option but it did the job. Because of this I've switched to an alternate File Manager.