More buyers home in on Office 2007

Sales of Office 2007 were substantially better than those of Office 2003 during the first week after launching, according to a study comparing retail and commercial figures for both products.

In the first week after its release in late January, Office 2007 unit sales grew 108.6 percent compared with the first week of sales for Office 2003, according to a preliminary report released Monday by the NPD Group, a consumer and retail trade researcher.

While the average selling price for Office 2007 declined 1.1 percent to $206.93, the dollar volume jumped by 106.3 percent compared with Office 2003, the report noted.

"Unit shipments grew faster than dollars," said Chris Swenson, NPD director of software industry analysis. He noted that sales of the cheaper Home and Student editions of Office contributed to the dip in average selling price.

NPD, however, said its preliminary figures are conservative, given that one participating retailer in its survey did not supply its information in time to be considered for the report.

Office 2007 commercial unit sales, meanwhile, climbed approximately 61.3 percent during its first month of sales, compared with Office 2003 in its first month, the report noted. The new version of Office was released to business customers in November.

Dollar volume rose 97.8 percent in the first month of Office 2007 commercial sales to value-added resellers, compared with the first month of Office 2003, the report noted. And the average selling price rose 22.6 percent over Office 2003 to $301.33 in its first month of sales.

"The Office 2007 launch was extremely successful, no matter how you look at it--whether it's the weekly or monthly sales," Swenson said.

He added that the launch performance of Office 2007 and Vista came as a surprise to him.

"With almost zero advertising and marketing until the January 30, 2007 retail launch, I expected U.S. commercial license sales of Office 2007, as with Windows Vista, to be significantly below Windows XP sales in its first full month on the market," Swenson said. "They weren't. They were significantly better."

souricon.gif News Source: CNET News

Also, I think many are seeing Office 2007 as a major upgrade, because of the new UI. I know when Office 2003 came out, I wasn't interested in it, because it didn't look any different from Office XP or even Office 97.

well you would hope that sales are better than 2003 as it like every version of office was basically the same as the previos version. 2007 is so different im not surprised people want it.

I love Office 2007, one of the best software Microsoft has released in years.

I agree aswell, although it does take a while to get used to it and find the tools you want to use.

I love Office 2007, one of the best software Microsoft has released in years.

I'd have to agree as well.

I actually spend more time using the Office suite than before :p

I agree that Office 2007 is very good (I've used the beta release build) but you have to ask yourself "Do you really need it?" Is there anything in Offie 2007 that Office 2003 can't do? My father is still on Office XP and he runs the local ambulance station using Office XP as their main office suite. Why? Because it does what they need it to do. I am not jealious...only curious that all the versions of Office are same and provide same functions.

I am actually still on Office 2003. See no need to shell out any money for similar products.

I agree that Office 2007 is very good (I've used the beta release build) but you have to ask yourself "Do you really need it?" Is there anything in Offie 2007 that Office 2003 can't do? My father is still on Office XP and he runs the local ambulance station using Office XP as their main office suite. Why? Because it does what they need it to do. I am not jealious...only curious that all the versions of Office are same and provide same functions.

I am actually still on Office 2003. See no need to shell out any money for similar products.

But why use 2003 when it has nearly the same features as XP, which has nearly the same features as 2000, which has nearly the same features as 97, which has nearly the same features as Microsoft Write Alpha 6? :p

It's not about it providing the same or similar functionality. It's about increased productivity. It's easier to use Office 2007.

Office 2007 is really easy to use because of the new interface. Worth every penny (when I buy it, but the Beta was very impressive).

People say that Office 2003, XP, 97, etc were the same but that isn't strictly true. Interface wise, yes. In each version they added more functions and features to Office though. The whole reasoning behind Office 2007s ribbon UI, is that so many people said "I want the next version to do this" when what they wanted is already in there... somewhere.

I've enjoyed using Office 2007, and that says a lot considering I type out a lot of reports :p . It's just so fun to use :laugh: !

Scirwode