China detains 6 over 'panda' virus

BEIJING, China (Reuters) -- China has detained six men in their 20s for writing or profiting from a computer virus dubbed the "joss-stick burning panda" which has infected over a million PCs in the country, local media said on Wednesday.

The worm wreaked havoc among individual and corporate users in China in a late 2006 outbreak, deleting files, damaging programs and attacking web portals.

It got its name from changing icons on desktops into cute cartoon pandas, the most famous of which holds three burning joss-sticks in his paws.

Chinese media have said that the worm was able to steal account names of online gamers and instant messengers, which are hotly traded with real money in China's cyberspace.

Police held Li Jun, 25 a native of Wuhan city in central China, who wrote the virus in October and had earned more than 100,000 yuan ($12,890) by selling it to about 120 people, the Beijing News said.

The other five, from three different provinces, were detained for updating and spreading the virus or for profiting from the stolen account names, the Beijing News said.

"It is the first time our country has cracked a major computer virus case," it added.

China's booming Internet is filled with technology-savvy youngsters, but problems such as addiction to online games, hacking and virtual property theft are on the rise.

source

"It is the first time our country has cracked a major computer virus case," it added.

I see what you did there.

Seriously, I don't get it. I'm sure there are crimes far worse than this that are left alone.

I see what you did there.

Seriously, I don't get it. I'm sure there are crimes far worse than this that are left alone.

What constitutes what crimes are worse than others? To you, rape may be as serious of a crime as public drunkenness, but to others, rape may be considered equal to murder.

Point? A crime is a crime and if they do not tackle crime in general, it will continue to surge and surge beyond fixing it hence why China has one of the highest piracy rates worldwide.

What constitutes what crimes are worse than others? To you, rape may be as serious of a crime as public drunkenness, but to others, rape may be considered equal to murder.

Point? A crime is a crime and if they do not tackle crime in general, it will continue to surge and surge beyond fixing it hence why China has one of the highest piracy rates worldwide.

Bullsh**. A crime is NOT a crime. Stealing is a crime. Murdering is a crime. The two are not the same and are far from each other. This was a case that took a lot of effort, resources, and concentration all so they could find out who wrote a small worm that stole "account names of online gamers and instant messengers." This is not the same as rape or murder.

Bullsh**. A crime is NOT a crime. Stealing is a crime. Murdering is a crime. The two are not the same and are far from each other. This was a case that took a lot of effort, resources, and concentration all so they could find out who wrote a small worm that stole "account names of online gamers and instant messengers." This is not the same as rape or murder.

I think you are right.

Online activity is nothing like physical harm or crimes at all.

Online 'crimes' like this are deemed so by a governing body. Does anyone here think murder isn't a crime? The two aren't on the same level.

You do not seem to look outside the bubble. Worms like this aren't being investigated because IM users' passwords were stolen, they are being investigated because worms and viruses cost corporations billions of dollars per year and that in itself is a crime when you sabotage the way a corporation works and you cost them money and productivity.

Online activity is nothing like physical harm or crimes at all.

They lead to crime, hence why terrorists love using the internet to organize activities and why pirates download copyright movies and go outside and sell them for $2.
Online 'crimes' like this are deemed so by a governing body. Does anyone here think murder isn't a crime? The two aren't on the same level.

Yes, and apparently almost every country has laws against this so its not just China trying to be different. Again, what makes online crimes any different than physical crimes? If someone hacks your bank account online and withdraws all your savings, will you say that isn't a serious crime?

I don't think so...