Sony redesigns Euro PS3

Sony has changed the specification of the PlayStation 3 for Europe, raising doubts over the number of PlayStation 2 games that will be compatible with the next-gen machine.

"Rather than concentrate on PS2 backwards compatibility, in the future, company resources will be increasingly focused on developing new games and entertainment features exclusively for PS3," said David Reeves, president of SCEE.

Sony has said that 'a new combination of hardware and software emulation will enable the PS3 to be compatible with a broad range of original PlayStation titles, and a limited range of PS2 titles'.

Sony will publish a backwards compatibility list on the PS3's launch day, March 23, with additional titles becoming compatible through downloads via the PlayStation Network.

"The backwards compatibility is not going to be as good as in the US and Japanese models," a Sony spokesperson told Reuters.

Although Sony has yet to detail the new specification fully, analyst Datamonitor suggests that a new PS3 model will feature a "new chassis" designed to bring manufacturing costs of the console down.

"By utilising the latest hardware Sony is able to rationalise the number of components required," said the firm.

"This move is significant, as it will have a positive impact on the PS3?s long-term cost profile."

"By launching the PS3 in Europe with the new chassis, Sony has at a stroke removed one of the barriers to future price reductions, and providing it can make enough units available, Datamonitor believes there will be sustained growth in PS3 ownership as new users seek to benefit from the PS3?s enhanced features and functionality," said the analyst.

Sony was unavailable for further comment at the time of going to press.

Source http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=23003

Bit of a kick in the teeth for thoes of us that have to wait longer and pay more.

"Rather than concentrate on PS2 backwards compatibility, in the future, company resources will be increasingly focused on developing new games"

or

"Rather than being able to play your old classic PS2 games, we're gonna rip the last few dollars from your wallet"

Not trying to bash but Europeans are getting a modified version of the PS 3 this is news. Read the article from Sony they have heavilly modified the design. This announced post a lot of pre orders.

In fact mod a new title completely might be a better idea

I'm not buying a PS3 to play PS2 games anyway, so what do i care. This SHOULD lead to cheaper retail PS3's here in Europe though but everyone know that's not happening. They probably just removed the PS2 hardware chip that was/is in the US/Asian PS3's.

YES! let the Sony bashing begin. By verberllay abusing a company on a online forum, you might feel better about your pathetic lifes.

I would rather make fun of people who try and make themselves look more intelligent by belittling others.

Lives... not lifes you wally.

Ontopic, I dont really care. I didnt buy a PS2 to play PSOne games, Im not buying a PS3 to play PS2 games, Im buying a PS3 to play PS3 games. Period.

so if this change means manufacturing costs are reduced, then why the flying f**k do we have to pay crazy prices for a PS3. Its the equivalant of ?250 in Japan, and ?300 in USA, yet we have to pay ?425, despite it apparantly costing less to produce.

Because we will buy them anyway? Its all about price matching, or something, if something sells for $500 in the US, that means it will sell for ?500 in the UK.

At least some places are apparently now moving away from PS3 bundles, a ?425 console is better than having to drop nearer ?600 for the bundle games, third party accessories and a PSP.

I'm usually fairly impartial in the console wars as I like to own all platforms anyway, however Sony is seriously pushing it. We're paying more here for less functionality, great. They're penny whoring as much as they can because they know they've made some bad decisions, that's how I see it; and with the huge PS3 preorders they probably feel they can treat us like this and we'll still bend over and take it, which most people will because Sony is on a pedestal over here.

Greek gamers asked to pay 60 EUR more than rest of Europe

For some critics it's already over-priced, but retailers in Greece have raised the RRP of the PlayStation 3 to EUR 659 (GBP 442 / US $863).

Sony has previously stated that the PS3 will retail in the majority of European countries for EUR 599.

Online stores in Greece, including the official Sony Centre, are listing the 60GB console package at EUR 659.

Sony has already confirmed that the PlayStation 3 will retail at a higher price of EUR 629 in Ireland, due to the region being "traditionally more expensive than other territories."

The PlayStation 3 goes on sale in Europe on March 23, with around 30 titles due in the launch window.

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe was unavailable for comment at the time of press.

Could be worse, you could live in Greece.

Look at it this way, some UK importers will probably sell their imported PS3 for the same / slightly higher or reduced value once the EU version is released. Once we get ours the major markets are saturated, and the bottom falls out of the import market. Quick fingered importers will also be quick to pick up the UK release model, just for the ability to play Blu Ray discs from this territory, and sell off their previous hardware to recoup the costs.

If you can wait a while, you could still pick up a bargain, its what Im planning on doing if I cant get a hold of a cheap import in the next week or so.

Old games ARE region locked so buying an import will get you no where sorry

This is very true, apologies for my misobservation.

Anyway, as Id said, I dont care for the backwards comp, so this issue wouldnt matter.

Ok. Anyone who looks at my posts know I hate fanboy crap but..

What the heck is Sony doing?!? The problem isn't that the backwards compatibility is limited, it's that people in PAL regions aren't getting the same hardware as those in North America and Japan. You don't give PAL PS3 owners less for what is going to be a higher price (due to VAT and etc). That is just insane, especially after delaying the Euro launch.

They better promise in an official statement that through software updates they promise to get the backwards compatibility up to at least a similar level as those in North America/Japan.

Oh and by the way.. atleast post ALL the news related to this.. :p

23/02/2007 10:00

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Announces Hardware Specification of PLAYSTATION?3 for Europe

London, 23 February 2007 ? Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) today announced that PLAYSTATION?3 (PS3?) to be launched in Europe, Middle East, Africa and Australasia on 23rd March 2007 would utilise a new hardware specification.

The European PS3 will feature the Cell Broadband Engine?, 60 GB hard disc drive, Blu-ray Disc player, built-in Wi-Fi connectivity, SIXAXIS? wireless controller. It also embodies a new combination of hardware and software emulation which will enable PS3 to be compatible with a broad range of original PlayStation? (PS) titles and a limited range of PlayStation?2 (PS2) titles.

?PS3 is first and foremost a system that excels in playing games specifically designed to exploit the power and potential of the PS3 system,? said David Reeves, President of SCEE. ?Games designed for PS3 offer incredible graphics quality, stunning gameplay and massively improved audio and video fidelity that is simply not achievable with PS and PS2 games. Rather than concentrate on PS2 backwards compatibility, in the future, company resources will be increasingly focused on developing new games and entertainment features exclusively for PS3, truly taking advantage of this excitiSome additional PS2 titles will become compatible on the PS3 system through regular downloadable firmware updates, which will be made available through the PLAYSTATION?Network, from http://www.playstation.com or via PS3 game discs, with the first update planned for the launch date of the 23rd March 2007. 23rd March 2007.

Users will be able to check whether their titles are compatible with PS3 at http://faq.eu.playstation.com/bc. This site will be available on 23rd March to meet launch day.

http://www.scee.presscentre.com/Content/De...mp;NewsAreaID=2

I quote..... with additional titles becoming compatible through downloads via the PlayStation Network.

and I have put a link to the full article quoted above. Just reporting the rebuild. The whole article is quoted from Eurogamer.

They better promise in an official statement that through software updates they promise to get the backwards compatibility up to at least a similar level as those in North America/Japan.

That just rings of an 'or else'... well, or else what? You wont buy their system? Guess what, Sony doesnt care.

One of the main selling points of the PS2 was that it was 'backward compatible' with PS1 games, that was an actual selling point of the system.

Look forward, not back.

I do appreciate that people would rather just have one console in their front room to play a line of games than two, or three, for PS1/2/3 games, but until we start to see what the actual list of games are that we cant play over the US/JP, I dont think we should get too upset just yet.

"Rather than concentrate on PS2 backwards compatibility, in the future, company resources will be increasingly focused on developing new games and entertainment features exclusively for PS3," said David Reeves, president of SCEE.

Thats only a good thing for me. Id rather see them adding new XMB features, new media options for the core PS3 system rather than worrying about games that have been out for best part of a decade.

If I head down to my local EB right now, there are probably somewhere near 100 or so used PS2 games that will never be bought, that were never bought originally on anything other than a whim, that I really couldnt care less about being supported by the next gen of the Sony Console.

My views might change when I see the list of games supported / not supported, but I would imagine the popular games such as the Final Fantasies, God of War, GTA's etc that people keep returning to will be supported. The drivel of releases for the PS2 over the last few years I really couldnt care less.

/rantoff.

Ive got two (one slim, one large old model), two PSOnes (one with screen) and an old style original Playstation. Oh, and a PSP.

They were all played well a few years ago, but interest dies out as you get the next generation of systems and software. The same as it will with a PS3 in 10 years time, there will be bigger better systems and games out.

I have about a dozen or so PS2 games, and about 20 or so PSOne games that are never played, if they were supported by a PS3, I still wouldnt play them unless I had a retro urge to do so, and even then my attention span would be limited as I would want to be playing the new games Id just bought that all my friends were playing.

Anyway, lol, Im going home, so will leave these threads alone now as I dont have to be pretending to do work anymore.

Ontopic, I dont really care. I didnt buy a PS2 to play PSOne games, Im not buying a PS3 to play PS2 games, Im buying a PS3 to play PS3 games. Period.

I'm glad I am not the only one who has the moto! I have been bashed left, right and centre for importing my Playstation 3 and people say "OMG YOUR A n00b!! YOU CANT PLAY PS2 or PS1 GAMES OR DVDS! OMFG!!".

They just don't get it that I have a PS2 and a DVD player to do this! I bought the Playstation 3 because I wanna play Playstation 3 Games!

aweeeesome...

this is so ridiculous...

thank god that i turned away from consoles

Glassed Silver:mac