Sony redesigns Euro PS3

europe is a different market. because of that you should pretend that the asian and american markets don't exist. You are getting the price you are getting for a couple reasons. There's more languages for everything to have to be translated to. in america it's english. spanish, and maybe french. europe there are dozens. next the EU trade commission has made doing buisness in europe far more expensive, the cost of your beuracracy is being passed on to you. As far as features... who really cares? so what if you can't play ps2 and ps1 games? keep your ps2 to be able to play all those.

with your logic then the UK should have the cheapest... since no one translates into welsh or scottish for games since everyone in the UK speaks english, yet we have the 2nd most expensive (after new zealand, and they all speak english too). i'm pretty sure hiring a translator doesn't cost $200 extra per console either. sony probably won't even do most european languages, they'll do english, french, spanish and german i expect. 3 of which you say have already been done for the US.

our tax on a PS3 is not $200 more than the US tax either, that'd be ridiculously high.

and sorry, but saying "As far as features... who really cares?" is a pretty dumb comment... thats one of the main things sony preach about, how many features the PS3 has and how many are coming... you can't say backwards compatibility is a small feature either, especially the way sony talk about it.

I'll tell you what, when my DVD player dies and I go buy a HD-DVD player to replace it and it only plays a few of my "Original DVDS" ild crack the sh*ts pretty badly. At the end of the day WE ARE PAYING MORE FOR LESS, It defies logic.

I didnt pay more for my BMW to get less then the Hyundai down the road.

By that logic, when my oven dies Ill go buy a microwave, and wonder why it doesnt cook all the food the same as the oven did.

You need to buy the right machine for the job, if you buy a machine that was made for a different purpose, why do you expect it to work?

Honestly.

And by that logic, the sales pitch for buying said Microwave would have been something like "We promise that your new state of the art Microwave will cook food to the exact same way the oven did. You won't need the oven any more". Yet we all know Microwaves don't. Sony promised us full 100% backwards compatibility and now it just joins the long list of broken promises.

And when Sony says something like this:

"People will be able to play quite a few [PS and PS2] games. PS games are not a problem. I think PS2 backward compatibility is important, but when you look at what PS3's doing with new games, digital content, and so on, that specific functionality may not be as important as previously felt."

It damn well is important to me. I don't want to have to shell out money for FFXII, God of War 2 and the rest of the newer games that push the old PS2 technology to the edge too no longer work. I Do not have room for a PS3, PS2, Xbox360, DVD Player/Audio Control Center and my slimline media PC, let alone enough input on my TV or my AV control center. If the newer games push the PS2 to the edge, they are going to have a hard time emulating that for quite a while.

Edited by Kussie

By that logic, when my oven dies Ill go buy a microwave, and wonder why it doesnt cook all the food the same as the oven did.

You need to buy the right machine for the job, if you buy a machine that was made for a different purpose, why do you expect it to work?

Honestly.

Sigh, My point was HD-DVD players tell me they will play my DVDS fine, Sony told me my PS3 would play older games fine. Now it doesnt?

We really are going round and round in pointless circles.

Yes, the EE chip has been removed from PS3s, yes PAL consoles now play less games, yes we do not know what this list is, yes a lot of people are ****ed off about this, and yes, some people cant give a rats ass about it.

That about covers it - Im not here to defend / condone Sony, only to say that I dont care. My personal feelings are that the PS3 should play PS3 games, which it will do, and from any region. I personally consider that Sony should do what they are going to do, invest more time and money into PS3 features, than working on making old games work.

Yes, I appreciate that people have PS2s that they are either selling to get money for a PS3, or indeed arent working too well anymore, and they are disappointed that their games may not work from release day on a PS3. I also see that there are lots of people who never had a PS2, who were looking forward to playing the full catalogue of PS2 games on their new PS3. I cant apologise for this, but I do understand where people are coming from.

Yes its disappointing, no we dont know what the compatibility list is yet.

Poorly thought out comments like:

Sigh, My point was HD-DVD players tell me they will play my DVDS fine, Sony told me my PS3 would play older games fine. Now it doesnt?

just gets my goat - the PS3 still plays older games - but neither of us can be specific about what it will and wont play until release date. I suggest everyone stops busting their nuts and everyone elses until then.

I don't mean to be harsh but how does moving from a system that could already play all of the back library, to a system they have to develop software emulators for the BC allow them to focus on new games. Surely more resources are used developing the emulators than in not developing the emulators.

Your right the arguements here are really circular. Sorry for mentioning that it's just something I didn't understand in the Sony statement how can it allow developers to focus on next gen software when they now have a whole new area of development being created for them. I agree it will cut costs to Sony and cecoupe them some money but as far as allowing them to focus I don't get it.

Oh Gamespot editorial on this http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6166437/in...;om_clk=topslot