Sub-$600 Blu-ray Player Coming from Sony

In an effort to continue its momentum in next-generation DVDs, Sony said Monday that it would launch a lower-cost version of its Blu-ray player over the summer for $599 USD.

However, even at the new price the player would still be more expensive than Toshiba's HD DVD player, currently priced at $499 USD. Regardless, it does show willingness on Sony's part to cut into profits in order to accelerate adoption of the Blu-ray format.

]The BDP-S300 appears to be a replacement to the $999 USD BDP-S1 that Sony currently sells, as it has the same functionality. But it will come in a much smaller size and have the capability to play CDs, which the initial model did not.Even though Blu-ray has recently begun to outsell HD DVD -- mainly due to the release of the PlayStation 3 -- overall sales of next generation discs have been slow. Analysts say consumers are leery of buying into either format because there still is no clear upgrade path.

Sales of the PlayStation 3 have definitely played a big part in catapulting Blu-ray into the lead, with Sony claiming four out of every five who purchase the console also purchase movies as well.

Prices are expected to come down even further, Sony said. By Christmas 2007, it is expected that there would be Blu-ray players under $500. However, at the same time, HD DVD could be selling players much cheaper than that.

HD DVD has not announced any plans for a price drop, although Microsoft sells an HD DVD add-on drive for the Xbox 360 at $199 USD.

http://www.betanews.com/article/Sub600_Blu...Sony/1172520632

I have to admit I'd give you a strange look if you bought this and not a PS3 for the same money. Looks nicer also.

This is a dedicated player. For the enthusiast who has no interest in video games, it makes more sense to get a device like this.

This is a dedicated player. For the enthusiast who has no interest in video games, it makes more sense to get a device like this.

How does it make more sense though? They output the same resolution, and at the same price, you are literally giving up additional functionality for no reason. Even if you don't think you'd want to play games, for the same money at least you have the *option* to in the future.

There are several reasons why people want a "dedicated" player, though. IR universal remote codes, form factor matching existing equipment, not wanting to learn/navigate the PS3's XMB, having to "pair" the optional BD remote, etc. Also, as a salesperson, trying to convince someone that what they really need to get to go with their new 1080p TV is a PS3 is a no go in most cases. Showing someone a $600 Blu-ray/upscaling DVD player is a MUCH easier sale (plus it pays comission or counts toward sales depending on where you work, unlike the PS3). Plus, someone who comes in looking for a Blu-ray player, and isn't a gamer, just doesn't want a PS3 (though it is a FANTASTIC Blu-ray player). Wasting time trying to convince them is pointless. Having an under $1000 stand-alone player is exactly what Blu-ray needs to start getting adopted more rapidly.

Also, the PS3 lacks multi-channel analog outs (which many people need to get multi-channel PCM sound into their existing receivers) and currently doesn't upscale DVDs. Supposedly, that feature is coming soon, but it remains to be seen how well Sony's DVD upscaling on the PS3 works. It could be amazing, it could be terrible.

Anyway, I have a PS3 60GB as my Blu-ray player right now, but this may become my second-room player if it lives up to its promise.

How does it make more sense though? They output the same resolution, and at the same price, you are literally giving up additional functionality for no reason. Even if you don't think you'd want to play games, for the same money at least you have the *option* to in the future.

same resolution does not = same quality ... a stand alone player can offer much better upscaling of reg dvds

same resolution does not = same quality ... a stand alone player can offer much better upscaling of reg dvds

Guess it remains to be seen if this one actually does. I dunno, I'm no PS3 fan (I don't own one and don't plan to unless Blu-ray wins), but I'd never spend $600 on a player that does nothing but play Blu-ray discs when I could get a machine that plays next gen games also.