PHP 4.4.6 Released

The PHP development team would like to announce the immediate availability of PHP 4.4.6. This release addresses a crash problem with the session extension when register_globals is turned on that was introduced in PHP 4.4.5. This release comes also with the new version 7.0 of PCRE and it addresses a number of minor bugs.

For a full list of changes in PHP 4.4.6, see the ChangeLog (below).

Version 4.4.6

01-Mar-2007

• Updated PCRE to version 7.0.
  • Fixed segfault in ext/session when register_globals=On.
  • Fixed bug #40635 (segfault in cURL extension).
  • Fixed bug #40611 (possible cURL memory error).
  • Fixed bug #40578 (imagettftext() multithreading issue).
  • Fixed bug #40502 (ext/interbase compile failure).
  • Fixed bug #40286 (PHP fastcgi with PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN don't kill children when parent is killed).

Source: PHP.net

I don't see why they keep on updating PHP4. PHP5 should be used by default by now... we're already at 5.2.x and with SQLite bundled with it, I can't see why someone would go back to 4...

That's not quite true, I can run a lot of applications (forums, blogs, etc) in PHP5, without changing anything (obviously good coded applications) The problem is lazy programmers that program using Register Globals, and similar...

Yeah same thing here... a lot, and I mean, a LOT of what I wrote during the past months (because I became a better programmer over the years) is working in both PHP4 or PHP5, but sometimes I just included SQLite stuff, so now it's not working with PHP4 anymore.

It's a way to see if people program well or not, to upgrade to PHP5... because my old stuff doesn't work at all and now that I take a look at it, my eyes get bigger because I'm surprised I could write something poorly coded like that... anyway, my 2 cents...

I hope the month of PHP bugs will give us even better versions of PHP!

I don't see why they keep on updating PHP4. PHP5 should be used by default by now... we're already at 5.2.x and with SQLite bundled with it, I can't see why someone would go back to 4...

They do so because in PHP there are many bad and dare I say crappy programmers and database designers. They don't want to force ppl to re-write applications as Popcorned said. What happens with PHP is people who start designing websites without any programming background eventually develop an interest for it so they learn about PHP and MySQL which is are free and popular.